Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:02pm

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, thanks guys I really a appreciate it! I'm definitely sold on Judo now, will go to training on Friday and post an update...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HARDERISAY View Post
    Innovate. Make stuff that will work for you, maximize your smallness.

Also if there are martial artists that weigh almost as much as you who can hit and throw as hard or harder than taller people then I am sure you will find a way.

For you you must maximize the analysis of the technique and what makes it work in order to overcome any strength disadvantage. Power is not just a result of strength.
    Yes, as a raw beginner she will be able to do that. Go give bad advice somewhere else.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    Wow, thanks guys I really a appreciate it! I'm definitely sold on Judo now, will go to training on Friday and post an update...
    Great, another convert. Soon we shall rule the world!

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:48pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a short, skinny female and I did squats and half GOMAD (which for a vegetarian that hates milk is a huge difference in diet / protein intake!). I didn't gain weight or size, but I did gain a ton of strength. Starting strength, albeit with a slower rate of linear progression than the spreadsheet recommends for men can work great for small women.

As for the JJJ vs Judo, I'd suggest trying a class of each. I don't think your size or gender will be a barrier in either. It sounds like you know what you want regarding aliveness, etc, so you should be able to make a decision after trying them out.

There are huge differences in atmosphere, aliveness levels, and class focus depending on which session you attend even within the association I train with, so it could be that JJJ is the right choice if the sensei is as energetic and "crazy" as you describe.

Just my thoughts.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Great, another convert. Soon we shall rule the world!

Ben
    We already have Russia!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 5:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by etali View Post
    As for the JJJ vs Judo, I'd suggest trying a class of each. I don't think your size or gender will be a barrier in either. It sounds like you know what you want regarding aliveness, etc, so you should be able to make a decision after trying them out.
    Let's be realistic here. As a small woman, you are going to have a harder time getting started in judo than the average guy. You won't be able to muscle your way through techniques, and your comparative lightness is going to make it easier for your opponents to throw you. It's not an insurmountable barrier, but it is one that you will have to work a bit harder to get past. It could get fairly frustrating for you, but keep positive and you should be OK.

If you go to jujutsu, you may find it easier, but that would probably be because of a lack of resistance form your opponents, not because jujutsu techniques are more suited to you.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This St. Andrews uni video popped up on my facebook today. I think it adds vital context to the discussion

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 7:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It should also be noted that being in Saint Andrews, you're only an hours drive from the Judo Scotland National Training Centre at Ratho. This won't mean much to you just now, but as you progress in Judo there may be opportunities for you to train here, with some of the Scottish/GB squad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 8:13am

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    This St. Andrews uni video popped up on my facebook today. I think it adds vital context to the discussion
    HAHAAAAAA!!!! Yes!! Just got this vid posted to my wall today. Amazing. I saw them perform it live a few weeks ago and was hoping against hope that they would make a vid. Love it.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 8:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Let's be realistic here. As a small woman, you are going to have a harder time getting started in judo than the average guy. You won't be able to muscle your way through techniques, and your comparative lightness is going to make it easier for your opponents to throw you. It's not an insurmountable barrier, but it is one that you will have to work a bit harder to get past. It could get fairly frustrating for you, but keep positive and you should be OK.

If you go to jujutsu, you may find it easier, but that would probably be because of a lack of resistance form your opponents, not because jujutsu techniques are more suited to you.

Horrible advice from the first sentence to the last. All I will say in reference to that is Mifune Sensei.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast