Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    St. Andrews in the UK, then? I'd probably avoid the JJJ stuff and stick with Judo. But give it a try.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~judo/index.html

To be fair:
    http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~ju-jitsu/

Judo looks pretty well organized to me, plus a female co-captain of the team,plus more training time.

Ben
    Last edited by BKR; 4/10/2011 3:35pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't expect her (or us) to know you're talking about GOMAD if you don't link to it or mention it explicitly. I thought you were just making a general comment about strength training and a healthy amount of muscle gain.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    I'm in St Andrews (really small uni town) and I'm a student so I'm pretty much limited to the uni clubs so BJJ is unfortunately not an option at the moment only JJJ but the sensei here is super intense (and possibly insane). The Judo coach is supposedly really good..
    Don't know the guys at St. Andrews, but it seems they have a competitive German female dan grade coaching them.

That's pretty unusual, but the Germans have good Judo and as she's a girl she's going to be very understanding of the issues you face as girl getting into Judo and how to run a practice session/ club that's female friendly.

I recommend you go and check the Judo club out. I hope you like it and have fun practicing there.

EDIT:
    Should add I used to run a university club and did a lot of stuff on getting more girls into the sport.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 4/10/2011 3:42pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jazz.w92,

The daughter is tiny.

At 15 and so tiny, she usually ends up having to do exhibitions when entering competitions.

Yesterday was an exception. She was allowed to compete with a couple of talented, albeit larger girls who were thirteen.

Do judo (-:

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strength training and calcium intake are even more important for women than men. The Squats and Milk program works just fine for women.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    considering the choices, do judo, although even if you had all the choices in the world i would still tell you to do judo, because judo is awesome.

also, as one of the smallest in my dojo, i can tell you that judo teaches you exactly what you need to know about fighting larger people.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 10:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Innovate. Make stuff that will work for you, maximize your smallness.

Also if there are martial artists that weigh almost as much as you who can hit and throw as hard or harder than taller people then I am sure you will find a way.

For you you must maximize the analysis of the technique and what makes it work in order to overcome any strength disadvantage. Power is not just a result of strength.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your choices are JJJ and Judo, stick with the Judo.
    Judo training (apart from some other excellent reasons) is going to give you a much better physical workout than JJJ (or indeed every other art you mentioned with the possible exception of Capoeria)

Judo training typically includes both compliant and non-compliant drills, and you will likely get a decent experience wrestling against people of vastly different body types.

You won't regret Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:30am

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    disregard what i originally typed.
    doing too many things at once
    Last edited by kazimer; 4/11/2011 2:35am at . Reason: read too many posts at once

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 9:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do Judo... not that I'm biased at all.

The JJ club goes to great pains to explain that there are many styles of JJ, but apparently can't be bothered to list which style they happen to be... good sign that.

On the other hand Uni Judo clubs are nearly always pretty good, lots of bodies, lots of beginners just like you. Also being students they're guaranteed to love a piss up, which is the most important thing.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast