Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to help Antiherozero out a little bit I will explain briefly the difference between break falls and safety rolls.
    Breakfalls: These are appropriate for times when your momentum is directed primarily or exclusively DOWN at the ground. The "hand slapping" serves two purposes. The first purpose is to slow your rotation as you approach the ground be increasing the circumference of your disk. The second purpose is to distribute the impact over the largest possible area in order to minimize the lbs/sq inch of force applied to your body.

Safety Roll:
    The safety roll is more commonly seen in Gymnastics and Parkour because it is more applicable to situations when you have a greater degree of lateral momentum. If you are moving primarily in any direction other than straight down it is possible to execute a safety roll.

I can do safety rolls on concrete and in parking lots while tumbling. It hurts a bit, but not a whole lot. If you trip and stumble forward then I would say the safety roll is preferable to attempting to breakfall forward. I don't even know if there is a judy appropriate forward break fall. If you are falling in any other direction without significant momentum in any direction other than down then you should breakfall instead of attempting to safety roll.

As for breakfalling on concrete, there is a good chance you are breakfalling improperly if your weight ended up primarily on your hand as opposed to being distributed across the entire length of your body, arm, and leg. Falling on concrete will always hurt. There is not a way to fall on it that doesn't hurt. But falling properly will minimize the amount of damage done to you.

And if Judoka_UK wants me to film me doing diving safety rolls in the parking lot then I will oblige this friday.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Thanks, CK.
    Lol, what answer would you give?

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 11:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I don't even know if there is a judy appropriate forward break fall.
    Forward rolling breakfall. Every Judoka has either done it themselves or has a story of someone using it when getting knocked over.

Falling on concrete will always hurt. There is not a way to fall on it that doesn't hurt. But falling properly will minimize the amount of damage done to you.
    Exactly.

Out of interest how does Parkour deal with falling like this? Apart from laughing.

As people usually fall on concrete either when they trip or get pushed and there the forward roll is fine and minimises damage. Or when they slip on something and fall backwards or on their side and you can't really forward roll out of it.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 11:06am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since most Pakrouristas have gymnastics backgrounds they are likely to bail a fall like that, curl up their limbs and wrap the back of their head and tuck their chin. Object is to avoid breaking limbs by reaching, while at the same time protecting your head. That kind of fall where your legs just shoot out from under you is pretty rare in parkour.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 11:13am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since most Pakrouristas have gymnastics backgrounds they are likely to bail a fall like that, curl up their limbs and wrap the back of their head and tuck their chin. Object is to avoid breaking limbs by reaching, while at the same time protecting your head. That kind of fall where your legs just shoot out from under you is pretty rare in parkour.
    Yeh thought as much, because you only usually fall like this when something majorly out of your control has happened like a slippery surface or getting footswept.

If you fall like that I reckon a breakfall is probably your least worst option because whatever you do its going to hurt.

Last time I fell over it was when I was completely and utterly gazeboed and just kind of bent over and toppled straight forward. Obviously as a Judoka all those instincts kicked in and I executed a prefect breakfall, with my face.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 11:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going to say that most people who do Judo for a short period of time or have not been properly trained in it always say the same ****. Judo doesn't work in this situation because they teach you to do this. All I can say to that is STFU and listen to someone who knows more than you.

One most people break fall fucking horribly in the beginning. Two most instructors do not teach break falls properly. Three most people give up because it hurts or they think that they got it after only a couple of repetitions.

Break falls are intended to minimize the impact of a properly executed throw by a competent person who will smash you to the planet's core. They are not going to nullify the effect but only help to protect you from SERIOUS or GRAVE injury such as your skull being burst open like a watermelon at a Gallagher show.

Applying the same principle for when your dumb ass trips over a crack in the sidewalk is stupid and calls for an entirely different reaction. Judo is not parkour.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 11:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...d.php?t=100987
    He has been given infractions and another warning.

He couldn't even drum up hate on MAP.

Don't waste your time.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 12:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't even know if there is a judy appropriate forward break fall.
    You mean without a roll? Sure is, mae ukemi (funnilly enough mae = forward).

Here's some fruity foreigners to demonstrate it for you:

Notice how forearm contact uses as much fleshy surface area as possible, not the wrists or elbows... oh yeah, and how the head is turned.

This works great on concrete btw. Your forearms sting afterwords, but it's better than shattering your elbows or leaving your teeth/brains scattered all over a parking lot.

While we're at it, lets have a look at a "superior" ninjer version:

Oh dear, looks like an excellent way to turn your wrists into jelly to me.

No wonder the poor ninjer prefers rolling...

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 12:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Antiherozero here is the official forum for tards who get butthurt about being called on their stupidity on Bullshido:
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/index.php

Enjoy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 12:12pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, he already posts on MAP the official butt-hurt place. The link you provided is no longer fully in that category. If you look at the butt-hurt posters in the April Fools thread it is all OLD posters that haven't let things go.

Many of the CMAers admit MMA is the ruleset to test skills. They now ask for videos for proof and, minus the chun section, no longer buy the SIFU SAID SO clap trap.
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast