Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 11:26pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I wondered if you could tell me about what kind of shin conditioning or nerve deadening you do (if any). The vast amount of my own 'conditioning' (I use that word pretty loosely when talking about my own legs) just comes from shin on shin/forearm type clashes in sparring, and the basic heavy bag drills.
    Yeah, nothing really specific. Mostly, the conditioning comes from kicking our classmates in their legs and having our kicks blocked with their shins and vice versa. That, and kicking heavy bags. I should actually ask around my dojo and see if anyone else is doing something more substantial, based on the way my shins currently feel.

I suppose I should could get a hold of my opponent and ask him, as his shin strikes felt somewhat like getting hit with a baseball bat.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference between leg kicks with pads on, and a properly conditioned shin, is like the difference between a foam toy and a crowbar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:18am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Well, if it's any concilation, I don't think I could bust up cinder blocks the way you do...that **** is impressive.
    Thanks!
    Well, when I'm walking alone late at night and a retaining wall tries to jump me, I will be prepared, heh...

Last edited by Evergrey; 4/12/2011 5:37am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Yeah, nothing really specific. Mostly, the conditioning comes from kicking our classmates in their legs and having our kicks blocked with their shins and vice versa. That, and kicking heavy bags. I should actually ask around my dojo and see if anyone else is doing something more substantial, based on the way my shins currently feel.

I suppose I should could get a hold of my opponent and ask him, as his shin strikes felt somewhat like getting hit with a baseball bat.
    I like the way you charged right in and went right after the guy at the beginning of the fight. Are you kind of thinking "I'll get my licks in while I'm fresh"? I ask that only because you mentioned you want to work on your cardio. I actually thought your punching was better than the other guys but he had a kick height advantage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 3:53pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deliverator View Post
    I like the way you charged right in and went right after the guy at the beginning of the fight. Are you kind of thinking "I'll get my licks in while I'm fresh"? I ask that only because you mentioned you want to work on your cardio. I actually thought your punching was better than the other guys but he had a kick height advantage.
    I was actually following my Sensei's advice that I may be able to make up for lack of experience with more aggression initially. I actually think that if I'd conserved my cardio a little more, I may have been better off after the first waza ari when I finally remembered how to block his kicks, but oh well.

And yeah, I think I may have stronger punches than he did, but it's hard to tell. I don't remember his punches really hurting at all, but that right leg of his was making enough noise on my nervous system that everything else was on the back burner. I do know that upper torso feels fine right now, whereas I'm still limping.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123