Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long time lurker

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I was reminded in the school review I wrote that I should be in here too.

I started MT when I was 16 as a bit of a troubled youth, I was getting into a lot of fights (and getting my head kicked in) so I initially thought I should learn how to fight.

Strangely enough after starting MT I never got into fights, but I kept training as I loved how fit it made me and I enjoyed sparring.

At the tail end of my 20s I seriously fucked up my right knee and I was advised I should stop training, but I thought perhaps a "softer" martial art would have been the next option, something not quite as hard as MT. Hence the Booj visit/review.

What other arts can people recommend? Used to live in London, now living in Bicester, near Oxford.
    Last edited by Seisa; 4/20/2011 6:26am at . Reason: Spelling

Style
    Kickboxing (student)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to posthood. kendo?

Boxing even, although you'd still need to bend them a bit, you'd no longer be getting kicked there, or shin checking w/ legs.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really interested in Kendo, sorry. I want to do something realistic! Boxing's a definite possibility.

Style
    Kickboxing (student)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though it's not a perfect thing, boxing will let you be realistic, without battering your knee too badly.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ, although totally different to MT would be a good choice and would round off your current skills nicely

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm BJJ might be a good option. It seems there aren't many BJJ places round here apart from the Oxford martial arts academy and they're apparently really expensive. Cheers bud.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with your knee? BJJ will probably have you starting from the knees a lot.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah I didn't think about that. I tore a ligament, and I also have some fluid on the knee. I guess BJJ is off the cards!

Style
    Tai Chi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seisa View Post
    Hmm BJJ might be a good option. It seems there aren't many BJJ places round here apart from the Oxford martial arts academy and they're apparently really expensive. Cheers bud.
    OMAA aren't necessarily really expensive. It depends how often you want to train and how many martial arts you are interested in.

If you sign up for the 'all you can eat' and then only show up to one class a week, you're wasting your money, sure.

p.s.

You can put plenty of pressure on your knee in a BJJ or wrestling class, even moreso than being kicked in the thigh, so it's not necessarily the gentle-on-the-legs option you're looking for.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.