Thread: McDojo?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

McDojo?

Hi all,
    Been training for Muay Thai for a few months now and recently came across the term "McDojo" and some 'indicators' point that I may be at one, although others don't. Just wanted your feedback!

Examples with counterarguments too:

1. All equipment is bought through the club for "insurance" reasons. However, it is all from the same company, and having looked at the website of the company in question, not that big a mark-up from normal retail prices.

2. Before the adult class, there is a children's class known as 'Tiny Tigers'. However, once they leave, we do not do any board breaking/weapon training, or anything like that

3.What we do is 10mins fitness to start, then mainly pad-work (teacher shows us what to do, then splits us up to work the combination in pairs) with some clinching, or "kick for kick" at the end.

Teacher never trains with us, just walks around encouraging/telling us not to stop/sometimes offering advice, but never tells us "turn like this"/"don't drop that hand" etc.

I have never seen or participated in any proper sparring in my MT class. Though I think some of the experienced guys do it in the MMA classes though, and some do compete at the amateur level in MMA.

4. The brochure says they are a 'Black Belt Club". They use to charge for belt test but have recently incorporated this into their monthly charge ($40). However, the teacher is the only black belt, and the highest other belt in the class is yellow.

On the other hand:
    - Have learnt quite a bit
    - Exhausted at the end (cardio intensive)
    - The MMA class seems quite big, and they seem to participate in amateur mma tournaments
    - Can get quite bruised from the pad work (hitting elbows, shins etc.)
    - Some guys in there seem pretty good.
    Last edited by Beeble; 4/24/2011 1:32pm at .

Style
    Kyokushin/Capoeira
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that a McDojo can get one in shape and even provide good martial skills and turn out quality fighters. The criteria of a McDojo is largely that it is a money-making enterprise with things like Black Belt clubs, punishing contracts, hidden fees etc.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are no belts in 'real' (tm) mauy thai... so that's a pretty major red flag right there.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been discussed before because, some legit MT gyms have been adopting rank and belt systems.

It isn't the immediate red flag it was before. All in all we need to see a link to the gym.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    This has been discussed before because, some legit MT gyms have been adopting rank and belt systems.

It isn't the immediate red flag it was before. All in all we need to see a link to the gym.
    Fair enough then. I guess judgement should be reserved until a site link is posted but it strikes me as grounds to proceed with caution at least.

Style
    TKD/ TSD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeble View Post
    I have never seen or participated in any proper sparring in my MT class. .
    This seems a little strange to me for a MT club, but I'll wait to check out the link before I make a judgment call.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I want a link or name. He needs to qualify "proper sparring," if he is a beginner and the rank issue.