Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Love the Fight workout. Actualy techniques you get to practice (shadowed, of course): jab, cross, hook, uppercut, upward elbow, cross elbow, knee, front, side and round kick, shooting and uchimata. Grappling drills include shrimping, hip heists, armbar rotations and triangle ab thingies (not sure what you would call them). You also do "kimura situps" but they are basically just rotating situps.

It's still more cardio than technique based, of course. But when you already have some training it's not too hard to keep good technique in mind, or even modify what they are doing to make it a little more technique oriented.

I like it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 8:47pm

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've inspired me to give this workout a go, and so far I like it. It's not great, and suffers from the same downfalls as other mass marketed exercise programs, but it is good. It feels like you're putting gas in the tank for fighting, anyhow.

I wouldn't say that GSP is as fantastic a motivator as Bas Rutten, by any means.. But it is kinda funny in the latter half of a set when you're trying to push a little harder and GSP tells you: "Do this like your life depend on it!"

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/23/2011 12:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ketsueki, what do you like about it and what do you find lacking? Which workouts have you done so far?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 10:20am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm considering getting this for my home workout.
    do you need any special equipment to do it? apart from dumb-bells that is which I saw you mentioned.

Personally, I don't need to lose weight, but would like a nice program for more cardio and strength. Can't afford a gym, so is this a good option, or are the other ones mentioned here better?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gidi, you only need dumbells. They don't even need to be very heavy. I'm a small guy, and I get by with 5's and 10's. GSP uses, at most, a 30 from what I can tell.

JudOwned, I've only done the Strength & Endurance workout and the Abdominal Strength and Core Conditioning thus far.

I am generally not a fan of products that attempt to mass market a plan and lump all potential customers into a few generalized categories. I think individualized programs are better by quite a few degrees. Not to say that this makes a bad product, as something is better than nothing, for sure. But it brings to exercise one of the more common problems of fight training. If you have no previous knowledge of exercise physiology, and not enough knowledge of your own capabilities, these type of things can lead to the development of bad habits/form or accidental damage to yourself.

That being said, I do make it my business to be on top of fitness trends, and I have a rapidly growing library of fitness professional resources (mostly A.C.E. stuff, but I diversify when something looks worth picking up). This product still managed to give me exercises that were completely new to me, or at least packaged differently than anything I had seen. The movement involved also seems pertinent to fighting (i.e. pushing/pulling from the proper angles, range of motion and natural movement basis over muscle isolation). Seems like this is something that you can do to gain a little functional strength without worrying about jumping up a weight class. I also like the emphasis on the materials in the area of training within heart rate zones. That's often overlooked in similar products and is quite important. Training at 60-80% max in five rounds of five minutes is a great way to prep for a fight.

As an aside, if you are skipping the warm-up and cool-down sections of the DVD's, you are doing yourself a disservice.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing other than dumbbells. However, if you want to gain strength, make sure you have some heavier dumbbells (15-25, or more depending on your current strength).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 11:55am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys.
    One more question, how is this program built?
    I looked over their website and some other reviews, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Is it twice a week?, every day?
    Also, is it strength & conditioning 1st week, abs & core the 2nd and so on, or is it a different set-up?

Thanks guys, this is a pretty informative thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the intermediate level, it's six days a week. The seventh day of each week is a day of rest, and during each week there are two days that are easier than the others (think cardio, stretching, balance/agility stuff).

The areas targeted seem to bounce around a bit. Depending on which program you are following (beginner, intermediate, advanced) it spends about 2-4 weeks on your core and endurance before getting to developing power.

If you haven't checked yet, they have some video clips at the Rushfit website. There's one that's just the program in action, and one of GSP doing the "assessment" that they suggest you use to determine your fitness level before you start. There's also good info there about what is on each DVD.

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 12:16pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much space would one need for the workout? I basically live in a hovel and dont have a lot of room to move around...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2011 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have enough room to do a sprawl and an exaggerated capoeira ginga, then you should be fine. I do this in my bedroom, with only occasional difficulty.

I've been thinking about stripping just the audio from this to put it on my mp3 player and do the program in my gym (the area of the house where normal people have a living room), for more space.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast