Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 2:36pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I've done crossfit. It was okay, but if I'm going to go to the gym to use weights, I'd rather just lift weights. When I did crossfit, I felt weaker than when I just lifted (and indeed, weights on my big lifts went down) and yet didn't feel any big boost on cardio/conditioning.
    It's funny you say that. I've been a lurker on the Crossfit forums literally for years and I've noticed a subtle shift over time with the users there. It's seems like more and more are doing some sort of strength program (5/3/1, Starting Strength, Westside, etc...) and they just throw in the odd WOD for conditioning or assistance work. A lot used Crossfit to get into generally good condition and are now focusing on pure strength instead. Crossfit Endurance is a great example of things going the other direction too. Glassman always said you needed to add your own specificity...
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm not bagging on the program. But it just wasn't for me. First, I found it difficult. Often times having multiple stations that require gym equipment or space, and I workout alone 99% of the time. Second, I kind of found it to be the worst of both worlds for strength and conditioning. I lost strength on the program in every area except pull-ups and shoulder presses (because of all the handstand push-ups). But on the other hand, it didn't help me with my conditioning at all (as evidenced by how I felt in judo). And third, I just felt like the WOD's were too random, and didn't seem to follow any pattern towards a specific goal.

But that's just for me. At the time I wasn't able to do it every day. And I had no support in doing it, and was working alone. Rushfit works much better for me to do at home and alone, takes less time, less equipment and less set-up, and has a specific goal of weight loss, conditioning/cardio and endurance strength.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 10:31pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    lol @ "taxing to some degree." These workouts kick my ass! And though I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't need to drop some weight and get in better shape, I'm a guy who does judo twice a week and lifts 2-3 times a week. And these workouts still leave me completely drained.

Because the idea here isn't a low rep strength training program. It is a high rep, low weight, calorie burning S&C program. It has a completely different goal than doing a couple low rep sets of pullups.
    Fair enough not everyone's out for strength. Interesting how you said crossfit seemed to negatively affect your strength, I was considering crossift a while ago.

I do like the feel of a high rep bodyweight routine. I've read some stuff lately that suggests those who strength train burn the same amount of calories while working out as those who do endurance conditioning and continue to burn calories after the workout is complete while endurance trainers stop burning calories when they stop the workout. I'm not sure how accurate that thought is, i'd like to start a thread about it when I have more time to investigate it further.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 1:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got heavier dumbbells now, and went from using 5-10 pound to 10-20. Holy crap! What a difference. Before I was getting tired before a lot of my muscles fetl fatigued. Now my muscles are BURNING and I have to push through that when also tired.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 2:58pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real question is: Is it better than the Bas Rutten workout tapes!?

Does GSP talk on it? Because having Bas yell at you for no reason is the most motivating thing ever!

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 4:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha ha. Never seen em, but I can't imagine GSP being better than Bas. I will say, though, I really like GSP on these. He's pretty unitentionally funny. Read the following in his thick accent.

Owings: How do you feel Georges?
    GSP: Great! ...Just kidding, I really feel terrible.

Owings: 10 seconds, Georges.
    GSP. Ugh. Worst 10 seconds of my life!

GSP: The best part of the workout is when it's over!

lol

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 5:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a sample of Bas' tapes:

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 7:11pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bas Rutten tapes are fucking awesome.

That is all.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 8:06pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The higher you jump up, the tireder you are going to get!"

more profound words were never spoken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 12:16pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aahh I'm glad I've read this thread rush fit sounds like it may suit my goals. For the past month I've been pissing in the wind doing random bodyweight exercises with the aim of improving my conditioning for judo and loseing a few pounds to look tres sexy for da ladies lol.

Hopefully something more structured like rush fit would help me reach these goals better/ quicker. Hopefully ill be able to get the dvd in the uk.

Jspeedy what's this bad ass progam your doing?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast