Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Conditioning routine (for judo)

I'm looking for a conditioning routine, or a book on conditioning. If it matters I am looking for something to supplement my judo training.

I've searched the forums but I can't find any threads that really help - lots of people recommending doing conditioning, or recommending a specific exercise, but not much about programs.

What I would like ideally is something like starting strength, but for fitness/cardio/conditioning. A resource - preferably a book - that sets out a program of exercises to do in order to improve my conditioning. At the moment I run, I do sprints, I do occasional grappling drills but it's all very haphazard and I don't have the know-how to come up with any more detailed plan. What I hope to find is a plan that tells me what I need to do so I can follow it and know I am working on the right things and in a good ratio.

If anyone can recommend a book or a program to follow that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 1:51pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do bjj on off days?

Crossfit is working pretty good for me opinions vary

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 2:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ was my initial thought but there seem to be two options: very expensive or 6 month plus contract. Since I'm a student at the moment, and soon going to start work, neither is really possible for me unfortunately.

I had overlooked crossfit. Looking into it though it looks like if I just did the WOD I would have the same problem as if I picked exercises myself: I would end up doing exercises pretty much at random. Perhaps that would be solved if I could join a crossfit gym but unfortunately there isn't one near me.

If anyone knows of a structured conditioning program I would still love to hear about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:02pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted this in another thread in which the TS had asked the same question:

Pick up some kettle bells, pushups/hindu pushups, sprawls, burpess, hindu squats, sit throughs, forwards rolls, backword rolls (both from knees) sit ups, crunches, russian twists and turkish get ups.

Pushups: 10x3
    Hindu Pushups: 10x3
    Sprawls: however many you can do in 2 minutesx 3
    Burpees: ""
    The rolls: Go around a room one or twice.(if you can't do the rolls because of carpet, forget
    it)
    Sit throughs:as many as you can do for 2 mintues x3 (a one count is both sides)
    Situps: 20x3
    Crunches 50x2
    Russian Twists: 30x3
    Hindu Squats: I do 40x3... but whatever you can do x3?
    Turkish get ups: 5x3

Kettlebells:
    Swing: 15x3
    Snatch:15x3
    Snatch/press: 15x3

Make sure that there is little or no rest in between sets and only allow yourself 30-60 seconds of rest between exercises.

You have to get used to you body weight. You may also want to check out gynastica natural.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    BJJ was my initial thought but there seem to be two options: very expensive or 6 month plus contract. Since I'm a student at the moment, and soon going to start work, neither is really possible for me unfortunately.
    Answer depends on your level of Judo i.e kyu grade, dan grade, 1st kyu starting to get competitive etc...

Also what you want to achieve from the conditioning programme- general fitness, fitness for contest, better explosiveness etc...

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Answer depends on your level of Judo i.e kyu grade, dan grade, 1st kyu starting to get competitive etc...

Also what you want to achieve from the conditioning programme- general fitness, fitness for contest, better explosiveness etc...
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much a complete beginner - yellow belt. I'm looking primarily to increase my cardio and explosiveness.

I talked to my coach who suggested running and box-jumps. I'm wondering about strength training though - I would like to develop more explosive power and from what I've read (primarily in Starting Strength) you need a good base of strength before you can effectively train for power.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    I posted this in another thread in which the TS had asked the same question:

Pick up some kettle bells, pushups/hindu pushups, sprawls, burpess, hindu squats, sit throughs, forwards rolls, backword rolls (both from knees) sit ups, crunches, russian twists and turkish get ups.

Pushups: 10x3
    Hindu Pushups: 10x3
    Sprawls: however many you can do in 2 minutesx 3
    Burpees: ""
    The rolls: Go around a room one or twice.(if you can't do the rolls because of carpet, forget
    it)
    Sit throughs:as many as you can do for 2 mintues x3 (a one count is both sides)
    Situps: 20x3
    Crunches 50x2
    Russian Twists: 30x3
    Hindu Squats: I do 40x3... but whatever you can do x3?
    Turkish get ups: 5x3

Kettlebells:
    Swing: 15x3
    Snatch:15x3
    Snatch/press: 15x3

Make sure that there is little or no rest in between sets and only allow yourself 30-60 seconds of rest between exercises.

You have to get used to you body weight. You may also want to check out gynastica natural.

I like ^^^THIS^^^
    it's real sexy!
    with more reps/sets, varied active/rest tempos, & variations for increased leverage, that list should keep you busy for years.

We're in the age of the home workout! P90X & Beach INSANITY are all the rage. Ross Enamait & Body By Fish are out there kicking ass.... get some bands, sandbags, & kettlebells, a GYMBOSS, & do it yourself!
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney