Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Correct about what? That there is little value in breakfall training, or that the goals of said training are too ambitious?
    He didn't said any of these things.

Please imagine for a moment that this has nothing to do with Aikido, and the only breakfalls that are trained are the best kind of breakfall for such techniques as:

Double leg takedown
    Hip throws
    Shooting body lock

ie: Techniques that people actually use.
    I can imagine this.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:12pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since this thread is 'How We Can Save Aikido", what is specific to Aikido breakfalls that is not offered in other disciplines?

As a non-aikidoka, I think first of big rolls. Colin mentions rolling past and through your assailant, so I got stuck on the rolling bit. How are the other breakfalls different?
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    When I point to you that there's habit in Aikido ukemi that can be exploited against the ukemidoka by the fighters who have trained in Judo throws I'm creating a strawman?
    Your argument is a strawman because it implies that the Ukemi being proposed somehow excludes Judo ukemi.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    So your point is to create a breakfall art to move around an opponent without any use when you get thrown by that opponent?
    No. The point is to improve the level of safety in the gym, and potentially improve your opportunities for positional recovery during combat also.

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yoj,

I've not seen Amdur's dvd on ukemi but a pair of aikido partners of mine who have seen it told me it is "meh".

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. The point is to improve the level of safety in the gym, and potentially improve your opportunities for positional recovery during combat also.
    And this relates to saving aikido?

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:22pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS, that's understandable, they do aikido ;-)

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:23pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Since this thread is 'How We Can Save Aikido", what is specific to Aikido breakfalls that is not offered in other disciplines?

As a non-aikidoka, I think first of big rolls. Colin mentions rolling past and through your assailant, so I got stuck on the rolling bit. How are the other breakfalls different?
    IMO, it's the emphasis on ukemi in training. The ukemi itself is largely the same as offered elsewhere.

As I was taught it, ukemi in aikido doesn't begin when you loose, and end when you land. It should be continual from first contact, and applied with a view to NOT needing to finish. Staying live and proactive in the ukemi process until either defeated or countering. This is where I think it would be useful in colin's hypothetical.

The amdur DVD Joj recommended is great, and kind of covers this idea, in that throughout it ukemi is taught in a way that doesn't commit you to the fall until the very last second. It aims to keep you safe if the throw is changed mid-way.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS: Now you're being obtuse.
    It relates to Aikido because firstly, it was my pre-Judo ukemi experience, and furthermore, I believe Aikidoka generally have tons more breakfalling experience than Judoka of the same experience level, due to that fact that in compliant Aikido drilling, you get thrown down, alot. In Judo, you spend more time on your feet wrestling for position than time spent getting thrown.

It also relates to Aikido because it shows that a current Aikido training practice is demonstrably relevant to modern safety.

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS: Now you're being obtuse.
    It relates to Aikido because firstly, it was my pre-Judo ukemi experience
    But as is not mine, because I was taught judo style breakfalls at 12, years before I was aware of aikido existence, I feel the relationship is only valid to you.

Breakfalls and rolls are properly taught and practised in lots of styles. One doesn't not need aikido to learn how to land safely and recover/move to a safer distance/reengage/whatever.

I believe Aikidoka generally have tons more breakfalling experience than Judoka of the same experience level, due to that fact that in compliant Aikido drilling, you get thrown down, alot.
    With throws that one is not going to suffer IRL except in very rare ocasion.

In Judo, you spend more time on your feet wrestling for position than time spent getting thrown.
    Judo is Judo.

It also relates to Aikido because it shows that a current Aikido training practice is demonstrably relevant to modern safety.
    Demonstrably? Show your data.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Breakfalls and rolls are properly taught and practised in lots of styles. One doesn't not need aikido to learn how to land safely and recover/move to a safer distance/reengage/whatever.
    At which point did I imply that Aikido was needed?

Do you feel so threatened by the idea that there are entirely combat ineffective Aikidoka out there that could probably survive falling off the back of a truck better than your average kickboxer? I doubt it.
    Therefore why would you be adverse to the idea that time is spent in MMA on breakfalling? I think there are definitely people out there training JJ and MT, who are spending little time on breakfalling. (this is especially true of JJ schools that spend the majority of their training time on the ground.) It is primarily this kind of person that I think could benefit from an hour a week of breakfalling practice.
    Last edited by Colin; 4/08/2011 4:03pm at .
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast