Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 6:15pm

Style: ASU Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Some nice ukemi there, and interesting movements, some of which looked they might have some practical value. Aikido has some good stuff in it, but as in this video, some of it is kind of fantastical. I'd like to see him work with someone who can really punch/strike. He has nice looking tai sabaki.

Ben
    I doubt you would ever see him work like that. It would be cool, but the guy is in his late fifties, and gets paid to teach aikido all over the world. Why risk it? Especially when the point is to be fantastical, its aikido.

Myself, I know that for more relaistic training judo would be the best, if I wanted to stick with traditonal Japanese arts. But I like the fantasy side of aikido, its fun and intersting for me even after 20 years.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    To address the topic of Aikido transferable techniques into groundfighting, last night while rolling (BJJ with GI) I was rolling with another beginner (even wetter behind the ears than me, and a good 5-6 years younger) and he told me that he had a hapkido background (he wasn't arrogant or anything like that about it, the guys in my gym are pretty straight forward with each other about previous experience) and I mentioned my Aikido background, while I was grabbing his bent and turtled "t-rex" arm, turning the wristlock into a Nikyo, my left arm controlling his left wrist, and my right arm (full grip with thumb too) hooking into the crook of his elbow, mimicking a grounded version of a first form type compliance lock (I lost the wrist control to gain the elbow control). I did this from half guard.

An interesting Aikido/BJJ experience :D
    I know this technique. If anyone picks up on this, I'll bet it'll be the consensus that aikido gooseneck from the half guard = crappling.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 10:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not counting noobs allowed to do wristlocks in gi rolling... At that phase they should be working on basics instead of pulling techniques that are usually illegal until blue.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSONE View Post
    I doubt you would ever see him work like that. It would be cool, but the guy is in his late fifties, and gets paid to teach aikido all over the world. Why risk it? Especially when the point is to be fantastical, its aikido.

Myself, I know that for more relaistic training judo would be the best, if I wanted to stick with traditonal Japanese arts. But I like the fantasy side of aikido, its fun and intersting for me even after 20 years.
    Well, I'm no aikido basher. I've worked with aikidoka who were quite skilled, had great balance, movement, etc. My judo instructor had a lot of respect for aikido, and took some important lessons from it regarding his and hence my judo training as well.

You have to look at things in context. In the context of what the founder had in mind, aikido is just fine. Judo is more "realistic", but still, very lacking in terms of the context of MMA (no striking) or "street" type self defense (no weapons, no striking, etc.) And that is OK in the context of the basic idea of Kano. Even that evolved over time.

In Judo, one gets used to hard physical contact and resisting training partners (even this depends on where and how/why one trains), and can develop a tough mental attitude, etc.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 12:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I know this technique. If anyone picks up on this, I'll bet it'll be the consensus that aikido gooseneck from the half guard = crappling.
    Like this?

I've actually learned quite a few nasty wristlocks in BJJ.
    They are much, much worse on the ground than standing imo.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Like this?

I've actually learned quite a few nasty wristlocks in BJJ.
    They are much, much worse on the ground than standing imo.
    Yes, wristlocks can work on the ground. It was the half guard part I was thinking about as crappling. Note that the man in the video is not in half guard.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, sorry about delay - got no internet at home right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yes, wristlocks can work on the ground. It was the half guard part I was thinking about as crappling. Note that the man in the video is not in half guard.
    Indeed.
    The Aikido system that I trained in had a set of some 12-15 techniques known inside the organisation as 'Newaza', although now that I've had a taste of ACTUAL Newaza, the best way to describe this set of Aikido techniques is the: "In case you are having a Japanese tea drinking ceremony, and the bastard across from you tries to slit your throat while you are pouring tea." techniques.

These typically mirrored the same jointlocking compliance techniques you see standing up (first through fifth form, look em up yourself) with the only major difference being that you are kneeling down when the attack starts, and you typically move through the technique via "kneewalking" which is actually more efficient than it sounds. (the kneewalking, not the technique).

This being said - I would suspect the average Aikidoka to probably fare better on the ground than your typical person un-schooled in grappling, owing to a small degree of transferability.

TL;DR version: Grappling > Crappling > Nothing

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 3:12am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a fair bit of that kneeling technique stuff at Aikido. As best I can figure, it's main usefulness (to us at least) is it cleans up peoples footwork, and stops them shuffling about.

Aikido technique (not the silly wristlocks, but good irimi & kuzushi) needs good committed hip movement, to provide a lot of full body power. During standing techiniques, students piss a lot of this away with shuffling and and lots of little half steps. It's hard to do that kneeling down - you have to throw your hips into every movement just to be serviceably mobile. That makes it good for forming those habits.

Also, it's difficulty forces people to prioritise their body movement. Often when standing, they concentrate too much on trying to weave and grab punches out of the air instead of "getting the **** intae him" (as the scottish might say).

As for using it for newaza? meh, it's ok as long as you stay up on your knees - it doesn't offer anything for the floor.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Colin, you may be interested in Delucia Aikido (Aikikenpo) which is a combination of Aikido, Satori Ryu Kenpo and Pancrase Hybrid Wrestling aka Karl Gotch Catch Wrestling.

Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 3:32pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's got a 4/5 dvd set of "combat aikido" too. It's a good watch.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti