Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4 View Post
    Heh. I'm actually familiar with both of these guys. The Judo guy is national level for both Judo and BJJ. And the Aikido guy is just your run of the mill black belt with what looks like no real fighting experience.
    Ahh, checked the vid description, he's that Staniezski chap who someone spams on the Judoforum whenever he does something.

What's the context of this? Challenge match, friendly spar?

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 10:11am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The foreground moved in slow motion, while the background appeared to run at normal speed.

Was that CGI, or was it due to the mass of the guy sucking in chronotons (or similar trekkie bullshit)?

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:05am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Resistance is futile, you will be investigated. :)

I expected more experience in a rough and tumble combat sport with lots of sweeps, throws and takedowns.

I'm not a psychologist and can't read minds across the globe. Why you feel qualified to teach ukemi for SD or MMA escapes me.

Video or it didn't happen.

Oxygen depravation? Sounds kinky to me. Link to video please (don't forget the NSFW tags). Thanks in advance. :P
    Cant find any video. Basicly it consists of riding a stationary bike while holding your breath.
    the idea is I will be able function while I am out of breath for short periods of time. freedivers do it so that they don't die underwater.

My point is that as a MMAer I still look for anything that might enhance my game wether it is MMA related or not same as if I had the chance to learn some Akido break falling I would give it a crack because it might help.

I dont feel that I would need that person to have MMA experience that is my MMA coach's job.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aqua: I really appreciate your level-headed view of the subject. DCS is just busting my chops to see if he can get me to squirm anyway. It's because he loves me.

(In addition, what he's doing is called ad hominem. He's not trying to attack the argument, rather the guy who put the argument together. This is YMAS, after all.)
    Last edited by Colin; 4/10/2011 11:11am at .

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read an Australian MMA mag one day. You would be amazed at how many freak kung fu/karate, how the hell did you become a fighter training like that guys there are out there that are doing well.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Jones and the BJC? ie: Australian Freestyle Karate otherwise known as Zen do Kai?
    Yup. we got a shitton of guys like that.

I should start selling UKEMIDO black belts on ebay.
    Last edited by Colin; 4/10/2011 11:18am at .

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey just calm down now.
    I am an official bob jones brown singlet in muay thai and it took me almost six months.
    So it has to be credable.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    So it has to be credable.
    It's definitely credable.

Just not sure how credible

In fact, it's probably the most credable Muay Thai rank ever issued, y'know MT not having any ranks outside the BJC and all ^^

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    DCS: Now you're being obtuse.
    It relates to Aikido because firstly, it was my pre-Judo ukemi experience, and furthermore, I believe Aikidoka generally have tons more breakfalling experience than Judoka of the same experience level, due to that fact that in compliant Aikido drilling, you get thrown down, alot. In Judo, you spend more time on your feet wrestling for position than time spent getting thrown.

It also relates to Aikido because it shows that a current Aikido training practice is demonstrably relevant to modern safety.
    No, most judo training should (but may not) involve a lot more throwing than wrestling around. come to my judo class and you will get thrown a lot in various drills ranging from compliant to not so compliant.

How are you going to learn to throw unless you throw?

Anyway, I'll give you a 5 for the idea and a 6 so far for execution. Your lack of knowledge of ukemi shows badly, or you might rank higher.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Yoj;2532284]I was going to, but you made conclusions with anecdotes, i presented a scenario instead of addressing each point, however, if you want to consider an alternate angle, skills that are usable in life are those which become subconscious processes, take driving, as a learner, everything is an effort, with real experience, a lot of the processes are automated and the conscious mind is left having to only deal with an overview of the whole, this is how we become adept at things. We dont fully understand it, but thats the model. in terms of compliant ukemi, there is never a need for it to become a subconscious act, and for aikidoka, it's still something they engage in order to do.

Judoka, dont have that problem, because it happens at random times, forcing it to become a natural response. i suspect that model is also at the basis of alive training.
    Incorrect. Most judo training involves a lot of throwing of compliant uke. Not someone jumping, but not resisting other than posture and body weight. This is especially true for beginners and other kyu grades.

In randori, less falling happens than in drilling, although their should be more ukemi taken in randori than one typically sees.

As one advances in training, how much to resist, when/how, if one is going to be thrown or take a fall, to fall or if to take ukemi becomes more and more a conscious act (speaking from my own experience). Sometimes it happens so fast and hard, no time to think, but even then there is awareness.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast