Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 10:11am

Style: MACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LINZ1958 View Post
    Hi

when I did my first grading it was in december 2010 and then was when I got double promoted straight to yellow belt, at my club if you train twice a week you are eligble to grade every 3 months so it has defintiely been more than two months since my last grading because I did the last grading last week (April 2nd).

there is nothing wrong with grading every 3 months if you put the training and effort in and the patterns we learn are very important because they would help you in a real life situation.
    Training twice a week gets you accelerated grading? I would think twice a week is a minimum, more of a maintenance routine.

Learning Katas and techniques is not that hard. Understanding them and being able to use them on the fly out of context is where the time comes in. I really have no idea how it can be accomplished without sparring.

Your reference to not having to fight in order to know how to fight sounds like choi kwang do philosophy. Those guys beat the **** out of bags, they really do. But the way they hit the bags too often are not practical and likely won't find that out until they get hit.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 10:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a TKD Black Belt I can tell you, your forms/patterns/kata have exactly zero application to fighting. They are stellar for building your body coordination, your balance, some endurance, and getting a feel for how the techniques flow together, but sparring does not look like Kata, and good sparring doesn't look anything like TKD. So keep that in mind as you progress. You are not learning to fight. You are learning to play the worlds fastest game of freeze tag.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to be clear this doesn't necessarily denote a better school. I trained at a Mcdojo and I was under the erroneous belief that a long workout made my MARTIAL ARTS school better.

How long were your classes?
    That is what I should have said, not necesarily a better school. A better school for you may not be better for somebody else. I believe that if you are going to do something, you need to give 110%. Such a bad cliche isn't 110%. But when I do something, I always try to push harder than somebody else will push. Our classes were usually about 3 hours. Most people attended 2 nights a week, which is what was offered, but my father was one of the instructors, so my training was a a little more. Our inexperienced students were strictly no contact, until you are promoted. We considered ourselves, as light contact, bruises were not uncommon, and occasionally a broken nose or something of that effect. But if you are strictly no contact, how can you ever expect to know how to take a hit in a real life situation. I have been layed out flat on my back a few times. But I learned how to prevent that, because I didn't like that. We also studied pressure points, sweeps, and other non-traditional Tae Kwon Do stuff. As I was growing up, I was also trained with guns, and how to respect them as well. Just like I taught my son.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2011 5:20pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasa View Post
    Training twice a week gets you accelerated grading? I would think twice a week is a minimum, more of a maintenance routine.

Learning Katas and techniques is not that hard. Understanding them and being able to use them on the fly out of context is where the time comes in. I really have no idea how it can be accomplished without sparring.

Your reference to not having to fight in order to know how to fight sounds like choi kwang do philosophy. Those guys beat the **** out of bags, they really do. But the way they hit the bags too often are not practical and likely won't find that out until they get hit.
    Amen to that. Training twice a week at my judo club gets me my first promotion in around six to nine months of me first learning it and even before I quitted my semi-mcdojoish WTF taekwondo, my second promotion never came until I got a good half of year experience under my belt. Actually, now that I think of it, in certain schools (Gracie Barra I think?) you have to train at least twice a week to be able to grade AT ALL.

Btw, I used to think that I could fight too...until ten seconds into my match with a friend who did boxing and I surrended.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2011 5:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am learning Taekwondo so that I don't have to fight but learn the skills that will help me defend myself should the need arise so I think the patterns that we learn would help in a real situation

If you don't believe that, that is your opinion everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not everyone is going to agree with you or with me.
    My opinion is that you're an arrogant idiot. What are your tenets because you should go study those some more.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2011 5:38pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katriona1992 View Post
    Hey, just curious, but what association are your gradings being recognized by? WTF, ITF, ATA or which one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post
    I'm just a lowly green belt in ITF TKD but I have never heard of a form called Jung Shin. Is it a form just your school has?
    I think they are associated with ITF
    Hi

The patterns we do at our club are Pal Jung Do Patterns and we have 8 differents patterns to learn from white belt to Black Tag. The new pattern I have to learn is called Jung Shin (Pattern 3) and aparentley our club is not doing another grading now until December which is probably when I will be going for my Green Belt.
    Your ITF forms are (off the top of my head)
    Chon ji
    Tan Gun
    Do San
    Won Yu
    Yul Guk
    Toi Gye
    Hwarang
    Choon Mu

WTF:
    Palgue 1-8
    Tae Geuk 1-8

Blackbetl
    Koryo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 7:44am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Your ITF forms are (off the top of my head)
    Chon ji
    Tan Gun
    Do San
    Won Yu
    Yul Guk
    Toi Gye
    Hwarang
    Choon Mu

WTF:
    Palgue 1-8
    Tae Geuk 1-8

Blackbetl
    Koryo
    Uh-oh....I can see the direction this thread is heading (towards "mcdojang" land)....

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:07am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    blackbetl
    koryo
    screw you koryo is awesome!!!1

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:10am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Screw me? I was only stating what the forms were. As for Mcdojang, why are you quoting me when saying that?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Screw me? I was only stating what the forms were. As for Mcdojang, why are you quoting me when saying that?
    I had, in my mind, fabricated an argument that you had already made about koryo being a bad form. And then I had fabricated a counterargument about how I've done that for too many times to count and is thus useful and productive use of time. At which point you had told me that TKD is bad. And I began to defend koryo and TKD. I have a very active imagination.

Unfortunately it all came out as "screw you koryo is awesome!!!1" because my brain doesn't perform higher internet functions well without coffee.

Sowwy.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 5/16/2011 9:17am at .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast