Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 11:56am

Style: Sang-Mu Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am learning Taekwondo so that I don't have to fight but learn the skills that will help me defend myself should the need arise so I think the patterns that we learn would help in a real situation

If you don't believe that, that is your opinion everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not everyone is going to agree with you or with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually you need to know your relevant pattern for your grading if you didn't know it you wouldn't pass the grading so in my opinion passing your grading means that you have earned the rank, if it didn't count then why have grading tests in the first place if as you say they are not important.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 12:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LINZ1958 View Post
    I am learning Taekwondo so that I don't have to fight but learn the skills that will help me defend myself should the need arise so I think the patterns that we learn would help in a real situation

If you don't believe that, that is your opinion everybody is entitled to their own opinion but not everyone is going to agree with you or with me.
    so in your mind:

fighting=/= defending yourself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/10/2011 12:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually you need to know your relevant pattern for your grading if you didn't know it you wouldn't pass the grading so in my opinion passing your grading means that you have earned the rank,
    Right. No one has disagreed with this point.

He is responding to the comment:
    the patterns we learn are very important because they would help you in a real life situation.
    Now, that comment is completely different from:

if it didn't count then why have grading tests in the first place if as you say they are not important.
    No one has said they aren't important to your grading. Grading is done differently from art to art and school to school. What your organization deems necessary for progressions is important. No one can argue that because it is a requirement regardless of whether we like it or not..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:33am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, just curious, but what association are your gradings being recognized by? WTF, ITF, ATA or which one?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 2:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they are associated with ITF

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 6:30pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they are associated with ITF
    I'm just a lowly green belt in ITF TKD but I have never heard of a form called Jung Shin. Is it a form just your school has?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 4:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi

The patterns we do at our club are Pal Jung Do Patterns and we have 8 differents patterns to learn from white belt to Black Tag. The new pattern I have to learn is called Jung Shin (Pattern 3) and aparentley our club is not doing another grading now until December which is probably when I will be going for my Green Belt.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 8:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest you finding another school. One that will actually teach you, rather than baby sit you. I studied Tae Kwon Do in an AKA school, and it took years to get a black belt. We also studied pressure point, weapon defense. Not weapons, but removal of guns and knifes from an attacker. Breaking boards, and the other stuff these new schools focus on is just the fun part. We worked out for at least 1 solid hour, before doing anything else. Find a new school/ and or style. Something that will benefit you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 8:25am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDUNCAN View Post
    I would suggest you finding another school. One that will actually teach you, rather than baby sit you. I studied Tae Kwon Do in an AKA school, and it took years to get a black belt. We also studied pressure point, weapon defense. Not weapons, but removal of guns and knifes from an attacker. Breaking boards, and the other stuff these new schools focus on is just the fun part. We worked out for at least 1 solid hour, before doing anything else. Find a new school/ and or style. Something that will benefit you.
    Just to be clear this doesn't necessarily denote a better school. I trained at a Mcdojo and I was under the erroneous belief that a long workout made my MARTIAL ARTS school better.

How long were your classes?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast