Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 3:09pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Near side underhook from top half guard

I first started using a near side underhook while passing half guard to be able to counter the half butterfly by making a shin slide pass to the far side. Lately I've started using it damn near all the time instead of going for a cross face/shoulder of justice. I think it allows awesome control of my opponents upper body.

Traditionally I feel that there has been a lot of focus on getting the far side underhook in half guard (which results in a lot of underhook fighting as that's usually what the bottom guy wants too). But trying for that there is a good chance of the bottom guy establishing a good overhook and going for butterfly/half butterfly/whatever.

I've only ever seen one instructor - John Danaher - demonstrate a technique (the above mentioned knee slide pass) based on the near side underhook. Is there noone else out there exploring this grip? I think it is both easier to attain than the far side underhook and provides better control to flatten a guy out.

What do you guys think?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 5:31pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the life of me I can't imagine what you're describing. Any video?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 8:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha I was going to say that is how I always pass then I saw you say John Danaher and I knew why. He's related to my training family through Renzo I wonder if its a whole Renzo branch thing.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 4:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ Penn does this a lot, Jeff Joslin video about it:

I find it works super-well once I get the grip, but unlike MEGALEF I quite often have a lot of trouble getting it. How are you doing this against an opponent who refuses to lay flat on his back (i.e. a competent one)?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 8:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff Glover covers this in his half guard DVD.

Here's a vid of Glover and Sim Go working the move on Glover's Travels:

This is a good move, particularly for the surprise factor.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 9:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh...now I know what you guys are talking about. I'm kinda meh with that guard pass.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Attended a seminar and SBG black belt Rick Davison, who was a brown at the time, taught some stuff. He uses this method of passing, obtaining double under-hooks as a means of maintaining control of the upper body and keeping them flat as you pass.

I've found, even without gaining the far-side under-hook, you can use your over-hook like an under-hook if you wield your tight to their body and low on the arm. This effectively kills the under-hook. Most people use a wimpy under-hook and don't realize that its purpose is to allow you to get on your side and get deep under them. Many just think they have to under-hook and everything will be OK. Makes it even easier.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 5:55pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a lot of different things for flattening people out. Mostly, instead of doing it with say a crossface or far side underhook I use my legs and hips for that. I don't think I could describe it. Let you know next time I'm coming by London :) You train at Fight Factory, right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 5:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just saw this vid from yesterdays finals of the purple 83kg class of the Abu Dhabi Pro gi featuring Aussie, Kit Dale. This guy is a beast. Only trained for about 3 years and wins just about everything he enters in Oz.

Watching this made me think of this thread. Rather than getting in a battle of the far side underhook, he switches hips and (at least early in the fight) overhooks the near side (bottom) arm to work his knee out for the knee slide. Right through the fight he really concentrates on controlling the bottom arm and kind of takes the top arm out of the equation.

While this isn't an underhook of the nearside arm, I think it's relevant to the thread because of the strong control of the near side arm.

Check it out:

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 9:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    BJJ Penn does this a lot, Jeff Joslin video about it:

I find it works super-well once I get the grip, but unlike MEGALEF I quite often have a lot of trouble getting it. How are you doing this against an opponent who refuses to lay flat on his back (i.e. a competent one)?
    This is the case in a lot of Internet technique I see. At the same time, everybody makes mistakes. Otherwise, nothing would work.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast