Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:39am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    You don't need government regulation to open a barber shop either. Somebody should do something about all the terrible hair cuts people are getting.

Listen, regulation is unnecessary, and would more than likely just get in the way. All you can do is try to make sure consumers are informed about what they're getting. If people want to go to belt factory schools that's fine, as long as they're not being conned about what they're doing.

Also OP, you need to try muay Thai, or some other style that doesn't have belts, to get some perspective.
    Most or all states have barber/beautician licenses. I'm not saying they should, but they do.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    This topic is pretty old, but it gives me a chance to bring up one of my many hobby horses - French Judo.

The government regulates Judo in France and as a result the quality of instruction and Judo education is phenomenal. Even recreational 1st dans from provincial clubs have really nice, clean, technical Judo and they can throwdown too.

I don't believe every government could do what the French have with Judo, however, if government regulation could get a country's standard of Judo to even half or three quarters of that of the French, well the world would be a whole load more awesome.
    [american]

Oh, uh, lemme guess: surrender-waza and capitulation-nage? Wow.

[/american]

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Most or all states have barber/beautician licenses. I'm not saying they should, but they do.
    That's mental! Do you guys generally have better hair cuts than we do over this side of the pond?

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 8:53am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    That's mental! Do you guys generally have better hair cuts than we do over this side of the pond?
    It's a racket to collect money for the state like most licensing systems. Theoretically, it's so they have sanitation training and don't burn people with nasty chemicals, etc.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 11:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem with this is picking some official at the licensing bureau and making them actually evaluate someone or at least verify their qualifications with governing bodies to qualify for a license. Otherwise you just fill out some paperwork, fax a copy of your black belt certificate, and pay 20$ or whatever and you're gold.
    That process would have stopped exactly zero of the frauds we've dealt with. I don't think we've ever found one that didn't have a fake or semi-fake black belt cert.

Posted On:
    8/07/2011 10:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iv heard about stuff like this before. A Kung Fu master told me that he knew a 1st dan black belt running his own school but in order to test students he would have to have his master there which was pricey for the students.It does not matter where you go you will find bad instructors everywhere. I may be new to this site but I will tell you that there are bad instructors on here as well as many fakes.

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 6:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you belong to a club that is listed on USA TKD's website

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 6:43pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as there are misinformed people, there will be underqualified hacks teaching martial arts. We need to educate people. Specifically, we need to make them understand that there is nothing inscrutable or mysterious about the martial arts to prevent a layperson from spotting a fraud or making an informed decision.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    As long as there are misinformed people, there will be underqualified hacks teaching martial arts. We need to educate people. Specifically, we need to make them understand that there is nothing inscrutable or mysterious about the martial arts to prevent a layperson from spotting a fraud or making an informed decision.
    That's the ethical route.

Then there's the lucrative approach...

Choices, choices.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 6:54am

Style: Muay Thai / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If there were no McDojo's this site would cease to exist and I would have no reason to use the internet again.

Schools like this must continue for our amusement!

Can't forget their sparring. They must really spend a lot of time working on their kicks. Executed flawlessly.

Watch the all the vids from the THEWMMAChannel its great fun!
    Last edited by xstyle; 6/05/2013 7:00am at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast