Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 9:28am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Colin; dude you should see the crapfest people believe martial arts should be. Now this bozo wants to bring big government into the process. ****'s been tried before. While I'll concede to the background check, the rest is essential bullshit. I have fairly high standards for my blackbelts but who's going to come up with the universal standard.

Hell I walked into an ITF school last year who said his instructor did boxing and kickboxing; they do that at their school. Oh, they're some Judo in the system and some basic grappling. His logic is that he does MMA. Are you fucking kidding me?

I had a TKD "instructor" who was actually a fairly good TKD instructor come into my school and tried to teach one of my students how to do a hip throw. He thought he could because his instructor showed him. Well that's already a huge tangent right.

Bottom line is there will never be an agreement of this. I appreciate the young man's naivity but the whole idea is a pipe dream at best and I personally don't want big government involved; they're already **** up everything else they get their hands on.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 9:31am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, this is what people mean by your definition. My idea of a Black Belt does not include "board breaking." I think there are plenty of "High Quality" Black Belts. I think the quality of instruction in many arts needs to improve and be more rigorous.

Society can be blatantly dumb.

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 9:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I think native English speakers who had finished elementary school should be able to write better, but what I think is not what education authorities think.

Get my point?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    That's the problem.

All TKD is not bad, thank you for your bias. I know you took a break, but we are way past most art hate minus chun and ninjas.

Based on single art experience that isn't good no matter the motivations.

This is the TKD forum. Also, I'd kindly direct you to your posts in the chun thread in the CMA forum.
    Ahhhhhhh!!!! IIF delivers a PUNISHING KO!

That's worth a bullshidoshop at my own expense. I'll get to work on said shoop as soon as I find an appropriately embarrasing photo. KO indeed..

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Hell I walked into an ITF school last year who said his instructor did boxing and kickboxing; they do that at their school. Oh, they're some Judo in the system and some basic grappling. His logic is that he does MMA. Are you fucking kidding me?
    I hope you're fucking kidding T____T

In addition, I also do not like the idea of government involvement. Governments are partisan and **** everything up. What I DO like however, is the idea of a fighters union. Black belts or no black belts, I'm personally not that concerned about other than serving a basic function that help inter-club relationships by having a standardised system to establish teaching qualifications within a given school franchise. As long as grading standards are consistent between clubs, the belts serve their purpose. The 80's where having a 'black belt in karate' = badass are long gone and forgotten.

In this modern age of martial arts, fighters build their reputation not on pedigree, but by performance, so this is yet another reason I feel that universal standards enforced by government or other body is inappropriate, too. I agree with this point.
    Last edited by Colin; 4/07/2011 9:59am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 10:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo (wtf)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im aware the government is disfunctional and has quite a bit on there plate. I am going to push for background checks in my letter. You guys are right. And a fighters union would be cool.

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 10:43am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forcelaw26 View Post
    Im aware the government is disfunctional and has quite a bit on there plate. I am going to push for background checks in my letter. You guys are right. And a fighters union would be cool.
    Now you see why I was asking about the definition of Black Belt.

Also, background checks are a good idea, but no to letting the government regulate the martial arts.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GJJ, TKD, HKD, Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Foreclaw26,

You bring up some very important points in unregulation of the martial arts industry. I'm a Taekwondo teacher and I highly agree that there is much BS when it comes to self promotion and accredidation. Much of this has to do with the corruption of the Kukkiwon that trickled over in the dismantling of the USTU a few years ago from money laundering. So that brings me to why I am connected to the Korean Martial Arts Instructors Association (KMAIA). This organization is headquarted in Korea and monitors quality of instruction, runs back ground checks and certifies only the most skilled and knowlegable instructors.

Physicians, hair dressers, etc much be liscensed to practise their trade but not in the martial arts! That's why what the KMAIA does is critical to the growth and maintenance of standards of the martial arts industry.

I am the recently appointed regional director and World Council Member of the KMAIA and a liscensed Korean Martial Arts Instructor. So bravo on recognising this weakness that needs to be addressed!

Best Regards,
    -bodymartialarts

www.kmaia.org

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 5:22am

Style: TKD, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is is Pete File?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 7:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't need government regulation to open a barber shop either. Somebody should do something about all the terrible hair cuts people are getting.

Listen, regulation is unnecessary, and would more than likely just get in the way. All you can do is try to make sure consumers are informed about what they're getting. If people want to go to belt factory schools that's fine, as long as they're not being conned about what they're doing.

Also OP, you need to try muay Thai, or some other style that doesn't have belts, to get some perspective.

Posted On:
    7/29/2011 7:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This topic is pretty old, but it gives me a chance to bring up one of my many hobby horses - French Judo.

The government regulates Judo in France and as a result the quality of instruction and Judo education is phenomenal. Even recreational 1st dans from provincial clubs have really nice, clean, technical Judo and they can throwdown too.

I don't believe every government could do what the French have with Judo, however, if government regulation could get a country's standard of Judo to even half or three quarters of that of the French, well the world would be a whole load more awesome.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast