Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 11:17pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forcelaw26 View Post
    Well, at the kukkiwan a blackbelt in taekwondo is just someone who scores a 60 out of a 100 on the test that is divided into four sections. (special technique, forms, breaking, and, sparring if you want more details on a blackbelt at the kukkiwon just check out the link i posted). At the school i go to a black belt is someone who has been attending the school usaully about 4 years. (some have done obtained a blackbelt in 3 and others 5. 4 is the usual). They have to know the 8 poomse and the black belt form. If your a adult you have to be in enough physical shape to pass the military standards (regular army not marines.) They have to be able to do a vast amount of board breaks be successful on 2 on 1 sparring. weapon sparring. They even have to be good at grappel sparring. Also the master makes the black belts write essays to. And if you even mess up on 1 area you fail. (im not a black belt btw.) Thats the best answer i can give. there is no set national standard of what a black belt should be in Taekwondo which is apart of the problem.
    You still haven't defined what a Black Belt is in Tae Kwon Do. What is a "Black Belt"?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 11:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forcelaw26 View Post
    yeah, it happened to a friend of mine. She use to do American kick Karate and then she moved in the area and came into the school i go to. She said she was a black belt. When she came to class she was so embarrassed to call herself a black belt. She was equal to most of the yellow belts. The problem was her old school it was just money based. not skill. That is the only person that i personally know it has happened to. but i have heard of it happening to others as well. but that is the only person i know who it actually happened to that i have met and know 100 percent. Everyone else it was "a cousin of mine" or "a friend of mine" ect. i never met them.
    Oh yeah...because WTF blackbelts are all that. **** you and your little rant. Now what?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega: If the kid hasn't done anything other than WTF TKD, why wouldn't he think that it was srs business?
    Personally, I think this is a really great thread, because I believe that by the time this thread has died - the kid is either going to have quit MA for good, or more hopefully, quit TKD and go do something useful.

I think it's also worth pointing out that the kid has stated he personally feels that black belt standards are too low. (this indicates to me a mind waking up to the bullshido around him)

lionknight: if I was modding the newbie forum, I'd delete your posts. I don't think you're being helpful at all.

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Omega: If the kid hasn't done anything other than WTF TKD, why wouldn't he think that it was srs business?
    Personally, I think this is a really great thread, because I believe that by the time this thread has died - the kid is either going to have quit MA for good, or more hopefully, quit TKD and go do something useful.

I think it's also worth pointing out that the kid has stated he personally feels that black belt standards are too low. (this indicates to me a mind waking up to the bullshido around him)

lionknight: if I was modding the newbie forum, I'd delete your posts. I don't think you're being helpful at all.
    With what he is talking about I'm actually being very helpful. Defining what a "Black Belt" is has everything to do with what he is talking about.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 1:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I tend to agree with your logic, I don't think asking him to define it more than once is going to help the conversation along :)

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 3:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's also worth pointing out that the kid has stated he personally feels that black belt standards are too low.
    Should be higher?

Why the WTF (or any other org) should define his standards and rank meaning based in pop culture understanding and expectations?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 6:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS, of course you are right. Perhaps I spend too much time sparring with juniors. I pull too many punches :)

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 8:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I tend to agree with your logic, I don't think asking him to define it more than once is going to help the conversation along :)
    I agree with you, but I'm trying to nice sinse this isn't YMAS.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 8:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the problem.
    All TKD is not bad, thank you for your bias. I know you took a break, but we are way past most art hate minus chun and ninjas.

Based on single art experience that isn't good no matter the motivations.

This is the TKD forum. Also, I'd kindly direct you to your posts in the chun thread in the CMA forum.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 9:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo (wtf)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not think WTF blackbelts are all that Omega. And Lionknight you are being helpful. Im not sure exactly what a blackbelt should be. But i do know that a blackblet shouldnt struggle to do a basic roundhouse kick and should be able to spar. And DCS, soceity thinks if you have a black belt you must be a master. i do not think this. I just think blackbelts should be of higher quality then they are, not nesscarily a master. But they should be able to spar well. Do board breaks well. Do the fourms well. None of this 60 out of a 100 crap.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast