Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 3:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GHFS 2010 promo video

Hi guys, I've been a longtime Bullshido lurker but never got around to register and post, figured it was about time and wanted to share this little promo video of my club (Gothenburg Historical Fencing School) with you all.

regards/Axel, GHFS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 8:53am

Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff.

My only negative comment is that it gets repetitive, especially the tournament material, whic makes it feel longer than it should. If this was me making the video (and assuming that the purpose is to draw in new students), I'd drop half of the weapon combat tournament footage and include more varied material that showcases the wide range of skills that students would learn. So, more empty-hand striking, more grappling, more training footage.

Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work! Trying to run a WMA/HEMA school is a rough gig.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 2:12pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool. I've always been impressed by the swordsmanship I see from your group.

I am curious about your unarmed curriculum. Are you drawing from the same sources as you find your longsword material or from other period sources, from later WMA sources (like pre-queensbury boxing, savate, bartitsu, etc.) or are you using modern sources? What led you to chose the material you use?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 4:13pm

Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty good stuff overall. Two points:

I too wonder where you are getting your unarmed material from. It reminds me of what (little) I've seen of savate but with more hooks instead of straights?

The sword material looks good but some of the feders in the videos look very whippy at times so watch out for that, and those funny thrusting tips are unnecessary. More grappling never hurt anyone either, as white-tunic at 3:52-3:58 illustrates.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 4:57pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i NEED to participate in this.

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 5:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HEMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys and thanks for the feedback!

@SonofThunder, yeah you are probably right, I rushed the video a bit, and I did not have much more material on my computer other than from Swordfish tournaments, otherwise it would have been more mixed up. You'll see more of that in the future :).

@SBGApe, the unarmed stuff you see in this particular video is supposed to be drawn from various pugilism sources, the latest being jack Dempsey which might explain why you see more hooks than what is usually the case in earlier bareknuckle boxing (though I don't train in that study group so don't take my word for it, pugilism is not my strong point), the two guys you see in the video have some MMA background aswell, which probably affects their fighting. The unarmed sparring video was spontaneous, not intended as promo material really, so the quality of their fighting is not top level.

We also do alot of kampfringen, using Ringeck, Wallerstein, von Aureswald etc. That is not shown in the video though.

@Mortschlag: do you mean the synthetic wasters? Some of them are slightly whippy, but not overly much, the steel weapons used are Albion Meyers and Ensifer feders, which are not whippy.

The thrusting tips are definitely necessary, atleast in a tournament setting (liability issues for one), and atleast until we figure out a good way to protect the throat (which we are, the Poles have a pretty good solution and we are also talking with other manufacturers), right now a thrust can slip under the bib of a fencing mask. There have been instances where an untipped blade has penetrated the body of the fighter, and we don't want that (it would be disastrous if it want into the inside of the thigh or to teh throat, and such injuries could get us in trouble when we organize tournaments as they have to be approved by a government martial arts board, it is also bad publicity and simply not very fun when it happens).

I never say no to more grappling :).

@Kouch: yes you do! :).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 11:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelGHFS View Post
    @Mortschlag: do you mean the synthetic wasters? Some of them are slightly whippy, but not overly much...the thrusting tips are definitely necessary, atleast in a tournament setting (liability issues for one), and atleast until we figure out a good way to protect the throat (which we are, the Poles have a pretty good solution and we are also talking with other manufacturers), right now a thrust can slip under the bib of a fencing mask. There have been instances where an untipped blade has penetrated the body of the fighter, and we don't want that (it would be disastrous if it want into the inside of the thigh or to teh throat, and such injuries could get us in trouble when we organize tournaments as they have to be approved by a government martial arts board, it is also bad publicity and simply not very fun when it happens).
    Yeah it must have been the synthetic ones I saw then. It's unfortunate that many wasters and blunts are made floppy nowadays, which distorts binding and encourages sword-tagging, but C'est la vie.

Regarding thrusting tips, I think there is less of a safety issue than it may seem. If it is unsafe to stab to the throat without some knobby-bit on the end then just don't target the throat, no? And let us be honest with ourselves now, a stab from blunt sword is not too bad. You get worse injuries from running into a table or getting cut by a wire-fence. This sounds like an issue that control can fix, rather than wearing safety-padding or making your weapons safer by putting junk on them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 12:38pm

Style: Kendo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mordschlag have you ever even sparred? Putting your body in the hands of your opponent's "control" during competition is just ignorant. If you feel wearing protective gear and using safer swords isn't necessary then you aren't training properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evilstan View Post
    Mordschlag have you ever even sparred? Putting your body in the hands of your opponent's "control" during competition is just ignorant. If you feel wearing protective gear and using safer swords isn't necessary then you aren't training properly.
    I spar nearly every week with and without weapons. It is my earnest opinion that free-play with anything more than a fencing mask, a cup, and gloves is overkill (and the latter two are optional). The only other protection (aside from the previously listed) you need is your weapon and if you fail to defend yourself then guess whose fault that is.

If you don't have the control to not just randomly hit spots on your sparring partner then you need more work on the pell. If you don't care enough about your sparring partner to just hit him\her anywhere without regard for safety then you should find new sparring partners.

Additionally accidental cuts and thrusts without control may happen here and there, but at worst you’ll just need a few stitches or a day of rest. Fencing isn’t for the fearful so if you can’t accept the occasional cuts and bruises maybe you should take up golfing instead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 9:55pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is an issue of training culture. There's a difference between how someone fights a training partner & how someone fights an opponent in a sportive competition. In competition, even if you're no more aggressive then in training, your opponent may well be & since you don't know them as well as you know your own training partners it is harder to gauge appropriate intensity or read their intent to develop your response. All that makes injuries much more likely.

Mordschlag, you're an ARMA guy & ARMA typically doesn't engage in competitions. I don't doubt that you train & spar regularly. I would question if you have ever participated in a competition in any combat sport.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast