Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 10:50am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always try it with your attacker armed with a felt tipped pen. Where they are able to mark you, they can cut you. It feels silly to do but illustrates how slim your chances actually are without being killed.

This is an interesting take on the problem.

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 2:23pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    at 1 minute in, we see me getting kicked in the face when we both have knives. A solid kick like that will set you up for victory, while a kick to the leg is a lot less likely to be too disruptive.
    Would you agree with my supposition that the primary reason that worked, apart from range and stance, is that you both had knives?

My basic theory is this: if both parties have knives, potential counters become a much bigger deal for the attacker.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Would you agree with my supposition that the primary reason that worked, apart from range and stance, is that you both had knives?

My basic theory is this: if both parties have knives, potential counters become a much bigger deal for the attacker.
    I'd say the main reason that worked is because I was focusing on his knife, because you kind of have to since it's such a fast weapon that doesn't need to hit hard. It's easy to forget that they have three other limbs, and a kick to the face was the last thing I expected.

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 9:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignore the following--it just won't work at all (except for me):

If, for whatever reason, you can't GTFO, go hard 'n' fast the opposite way:

Close distance right away and pound his face with your best-practised boxing combo.

Then, when he's on queer street (if still standing), "control the weapon" (if it's still in his hand) and crank the **** out of the offending arm until there's a nice gristly-cracking sound coming from it.

You'll get marked a bit while closing, but--whatever you do--don't let up your attack: that would just give the momentum back to the guy with the blade.

But, again, just ignore the above. It's only ever worked for me, so it won't work for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 10:14pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just up an run. If theres anything around you, throw it and then run. If you get cornered, offer them your wallet and run whilst they grab it. The only time you should ever face an armed opponent is with their backs turned towards you and with a weapon in your hand that can drop them before they get the chance to endanger you(anything less than a gun or a taser doesn't count).

A real-life self-defense situation is more or less just learning how and when to run. Leg kicks, punching, grappling or otherwise unarmed combat is more or less for intimidation(or for standing to those that want to intimadate you). When death need be dealt, people use knives and guns whilst those of us that don't have knives and guns get the **** away.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 11:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    A real-life self-defense situation is more or less just learning how and when to run. Leg kicks, punching, grappling or otherwise unarmed combat is more or less for intimidation(or for standing to those that want to intimadate you). When death need be dealt, people use knives and guns whilst those of us that don't have knives and guns get the **** away.
    Kicking, punching, and grappling are all part of using weapons. For example, if I thrust a knife at your abdomen and you clamp down on my forearm with both hands, the very next thing I do is a left cross or hook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 6:17am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No...Just no

:)

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    use your legs to run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 7:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what I like to say is said... runs is best, push kick makes more sense than leg kick if you're going to kick them, and if you want to experiment with fighting a knifer... use a sharpie! To add something, don't expect a knifer to show you his knife ahead of time. If you sees if before he knifes you... he probably won't knife you as long as you cooperate with him. However sometimes he might not just want a wallet, maybe he wants to rape you or something, so perhaps you are willing to die fighting then (your choice as an individual). In general, if you want to protect yourself and your family, a defensive driving course is a betters investments than martial arts (though I love martial arts).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2011 3:03am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciderbone View Post
    a defensive driving course is a betters investments than martial arts (though I love martial arts).
    Yeah cause I have lost count the number of times I have been attacked while driving my car.

Good advice dude.

Oh and Dr Phil says:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast