Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 12:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Jah but in the process he rapidly decelerates and accelerates. If you watch closely you can see he actually has both feet of the ground and changes direction in mid air. Crazy.
    Yes you are correct. I used to play a lot of basketball and similar fundamentals apply for a cross-over dribble.

What is useful to us from this footage, apart from the excellence of English rugby in comparison to France...
    Hilarious! I've known probably 3 or 4 people from England personally and they never hesitate to rip France any chance they get. It's like in your DNA or something.

As for your article I think you did a very good job at writing about a subject that so very few in Judo that I have encountered can actually teach. The instructor I spent the longest amount of time with can teach this except he doesn't call it what you call it. But he teaches delay. No one else in my area can teach it. Perhaps some can do it but they cannot teach it.

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 1:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    Yes you are correct. I used to play a lot of basketball and similar fundamentals apply for a cross-over dribble.
    Yes, quite, I often wear a bib to prevent that.

Hilarious! I've known probably 3 or 4 people from England personally and they never hesitate to rip France any chance they get. It's like in your DNA or something.
    Well we have been at war on and off for the best part of 1000 years. That kind of thing tends to stay in the cultural memory.

As for your article I think you did a very good job at writing about a subject that so very few in Judo that I have encountered can actually teach. The instructor I spent the longest amount of time with can teach this except he doesn't call it what you call it. But he teaches delay. No one else in my area can teach it. Perhaps some can do it but they cannot teach it.
    I haven't yet found anyone who can teach it at the level I just broke it down to. I think lots of people are kind of aware of it and some even allude to it. Like with Gidi where he was told to let them get ahead of him etc...

I basically figured it out myself by reading, watching videos and then checking back with my coach.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't yet found anyone who can teach it at the level I just broke it down to.
    I think it's rare that someone who understands it on a physical level can articulate it in a scholarly fashion. You're a true martial academic.

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 2:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I think it's rare that someone who understands it on a physical level can articulate it in a scholarly fashion. You're a true martial academic.
    Yeh there are a **** ton of people who are 100 billion times better at doing all of this than me, because I'm not particularly stellar at Judo and have only been training for a few years.

Very few of those people can articulate it because its like breathing to them.

What we need in the Anglophone world is a professionalization of Judo coaching and by that I don't mean salaried or profit making. I mean trained and competent in teaching Judo. The French have an amazing system state backed licence system and it shows in the quality of their Judo. I've got a video of a Japanese guy teaching in Russia where has a white board with cut out feet, direction patterns and key points written out on it and moves the feet around to show movement patterns etc...! And I thought I was a perfectionist.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite my background, I'm ashamed to admit that it's only after I've read your article that I feel I actually understand this to the point I know how to start explaining it to somebody now.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I have a great book on judo physics called "The Secrets of Judo: A Text for Instructors and Students", from the 60's. Includes sophisticated momentum/intertial diagrams and other cool mechanics of judo dynamics like what judoka_uk has posted.

Worth picking up if you like Judoka's essays on Judo (ie the force dynamics approach)....the book is in its gazillionth printing (my 19th printing is from 1981...), and the book is very popular with students and instructors according to its print history.

Not for every student of Judo...but definitely for the ones who don't shy away from math/physics/geometry.

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Judo-T...2210284&sr=8-1
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/07/2011 4:14pm at .

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What we need in the Anglophone world is a professionalization of Judo coaching and by that I don't mean salaried or profit making. I mean trained and competent in teaching Judo. The French have an amazing system state backed licence system and it shows in the quality of their Judo. I've got a video of a Japanese guy teaching in Russia where has a white board with cut out feet, direction patterns and key points written out on it and moves the feet around to show movement patterns etc...! And I thought I was a perfectionist.
    The French are only a short train ride away and their language is easy to learn. Go on my son.

Do you know anywhere in the western hemisphere/Americas that has a similar tradition of widespread great coaching?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Not for every student of Judo...but definitely for the ones who don't shy away from math/physics/geometry.
    FINALLY! Less push ups and more math! ;)

And of course, thanks to judoka_uk.

I'd like to say that you have got to be the best communicator of Judo I've ever known.

Like you said, there are people to whom stuff like this is like breathing, but they can't explain or communicate their "breathing" skills.

So I would like to thank you for going out of your way to try to boil down complicated stuff like this into something us knuckleheads can understand :)

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 6:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    And of course, thanks to judoka_uk.

I'd like to say that you have got to be the best communicator of Judo I've ever known.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    So I would like to thank you for going out of your way to try to boil down complicated stuff like this into something us knuckleheads can understand :)
    Don't be so quick to put me on a pedestal. As I keep saying I'm not particularly good at Judo I'm just good at analysing and waffling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 9:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, quite, i often wear a bib to prevent that.
    boooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast