Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 5:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me start working out

Iv'e been trying to get myself to start working out lately, I'm sure it wouldn't take me too long to get more muscle and lose the gut but for some reason I just can't start

Like right now I'm awake and listening to music as I type and as much as I tried for some reason I just couldn't get into working out at home with some simple sit up and push ups for too long

I tried lifting weights a few months ago but on my second or third day out of nowhere my elbows suddenly screamed "OH **** THIS" and they started to really hurt, I guess I put too much stress on them cause of my stupid self diving right in or something

well anyway back on topic, how did yous start training, was it a set day or just one day you started and made it into a habit or something?

and what can I do eat for more energy, I'm tryin to set a better diet now but I don't want to feel like hell after getting into it and not exercising at all

also give me some stuff on what I can do at home without exercise equipment at least for a lil while, I have access to it but I'd like to start at home to build up confidence before going to a place full of peole I only sorta know

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 5:19am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do polymetrics myself. Alot from just warmups we usually do before Jits class.

Here's a kicker when watching TV. During commercials, get up and get in the Jockey stance. Like you are about to run a horse race. Hands up chest high, arms extended. Legs bent, you bent over 45 degrees, knees forward. Hold it for the commercial. Keep increasing the times. My first time doing it, the lactic acid burn was terrible.

I know do little things, like after taking a piss, do 20 pushups. I do alot of crunches and planks during the week, so I usually don't do anything for the belly other than those days.

Some other favorites, Hindu pushups, and Hindu Squats, ala whatshisface the wrestler guy. :)

I put up a thread, do a search on body weight excercise. Alot of great advice frm fellow bullshidoers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 6:19am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've just got to tell yourself that you're going to do it and that's it, no turning back. One thing to do is find something that you like to do. It doesn't have to be just lifting weights. It could be swimming or walking or something.

Start off swimming only 100 m at a time. Then gradually start increasing the work load. Also, keep a journal of what you did and how you felt after your workout. Don't just write "It was a good workout." Write something like "I noticed that my shoulders were a little stiff and I was out of breath pretty quickly." This will help you in determining how much is too much.

Finally, adjust your diet. I know this will be the hardest thing to do, but you've got to do it. If you eat healthy food, you'll notice you'll have more energy to work out harder.

Good luck

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 9:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Random points:

1. Motivate yourself. No one else can really do it for you.
    You want it. You go and get it yourself.

2. Like Ippatsu182 said......diet is key in your goals.

3. How about warming up properly first before working out?
    10 min jog, Air reps of the exercise you are going to do.

Lower weights before moving up to the higher weight.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 10:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get off your ass and DO IT !!!
    Its always good to keep things simple :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 10:53am

Style: Systema/TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having a partner helps motivate at the gym. I never set a schedule or anything I just made it a habit, After work I hit the gym it part of the daily routine whether I feel like doing it or not, the same as showering every day.
    As far as eating, tuna is good for building muscle as well as kidney beans, eat alot of carbs for energy, pasta and that kind of stuff and eat small meals continuosly throughout the day, fruit and stuff like that, but of course if you're not working out it won't do **** except make you a fat ass.
    If you are serious about building muscle you're eventually going to have to go to the gym so although doing your workouts at home is ok, all you're really doing is delaying the inevitable.
    If you want to keep it real simple just step up your MA training, go more often and trasin harder when you're there

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    Get off your ass and DO IT !!!
    Its always good to keep things simple :)
    This is the only way to do it. As far as foods go that will give you more energy. You're on the wrong track here. The exercise will give you more energy.

This might help. Take a picture of yourself wearing just a pair of shorts. Tape it to your fridge. Find a picture in a magazine or somewhere of what you want to look like. Tape it to your fridge right next to your picture.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 2:02pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Get off your ass and DO IT !!!
    Its always good to keep things simple'

some kinda echo in here....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In order of importance:

1. Start filtering out the vague rhetoric and anecdotes in the responses to your questions
    2. Start educating yourself
    3. Undertake a tentative plan, and keep track of what you're doing to make sure it "works". If it doesn't, then reevaluate and make adjustments.

Intuitively flailing around=bad

I suggest a HIT routine, personally.

HIT resources

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2004 6:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This website is really cool with good info and articles on conditioning(check out the articles on conditioning):

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym.html

you should try his "burpees" exercise!!!! as shown in http://www.warriorforce.com/articles...rarticle1.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast