LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beak View Post
    The chart was made by fellow bully honest_truth. I vote to have the damn thing stickied.
    I agree. My only minor modification to the chart would be where the question asks: "Do you have alot of money" it should instead read: "Are you willing to pay good money for your training".

Since I would contend that I am a very poor person, yet I can still afford to train in MMA, simply because I'm willing to forego other things like alcohol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 11:05pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Where do you live?
    Are you concerned with learning to fight defensively, in the main, or are you wanting to be the aggressor?
    Just curious.
    You know what they say about most fights going to the ground?
    But learning how to hit hard is just as important in my view. Best defense = a good offense.
    Box first. Then you can also find out whether you can take a good punch or not.
    I live in the Philippines. My goal is to react to getting hit with aggression. So if I'm ever in a self-defense situation, I don't just turtle up and get beaten.

Also, is ground game important? Most fights I've seen that end up on the ground go into a stalemate where both of them can't make use of their position. Side control kneeing doesn't happen. Full mount hammerfists get stopped the moment the guy on the bottom gets a hold of the other guys hands. No one ever uses their guard to control the other guy.

Most of the time, all the damage dealing stops once theres a clinch. After the clinch, they fall to the ground. After that they just roll around the ground doing nothing.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 1:50am

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Would be nice if I wasn't allergic to some unknown ingredient in alcoholic beverages. Breaking out in rashes, hyperventillating and other stuff tends to go unnoticed by shitfaced filipinos.
    You're in the phillipines? Then arnis/kali/escrima is the obvious choice. You are in the fucking mecca of it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 3:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middlefinger View Post
    You're in the phillipines? Then arnis/kali/escrima is the obvious choice. You are in the fucking mecca of it.
    Exactly. That **** is good and usually trained in a live manner. It has no concern for sport rules and is geared toward real life. I'd cross train in some grappling though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 5:27am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because I'm in the mecca of the MA doesn't mean I'm near a decent place to train it.

So far, the only arnis places I've seen are forms oriented. The prototypical arnis school focuses on forms. You'd have to go Manila to get good training. Also, wouldn't the whole using sticks thing not translate well to unarmed combat?

There are arnis lessons in my universty though. From what I hear, its quality depends on your particular instructor because different instructors focus on different things(tradition, competition etc.) I might as well try it then ,I guess. It'll at the very least give me my minimum P.E. credits.
    Last edited by StepInCross; 4/07/2011 5:30am at . Reason: sport replaced with MA

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 5:43am

supporting member
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, wouldn't the whole using sticks thing not translate well to unarmed combat?
    If you aren't worried about weapons then there's boxing or muay thai.
    Last edited by Middlefinger; 4/07/2011 6:09am at .

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 10:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Also, is ground game important? Most fights I've seen that end up on the ground go into a stalemate where both of them can't make use of their position. Side control kneeing doesn't happen. Full mount hammerfists get stopped the moment the guy on the bottom gets a hold of the other guys hands. No one ever uses their guard to control the other guy.

Most of the time, all the damage dealing stops once theres a clinch. After the clinch, they fall to the ground. After that they just roll around the ground doing nothing.
    MMA fights? Everyone in MMA trains their ground game. There's no big skill idfference which can lead to stalemate. Watch ufc 1 to see what happens when someone who knows groundfighting faces someone who doesnt.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/07/2011 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would be nice if I wasn't allergic to some unknown ingredient in alcoholic beverages. Breaking out in rashes, hyperventillating and other stuff tends to go unnoticed by shitfaced filipinos.
    That unknown ingredient is alcohol. Are you Asian? A good percentage of Asian people have trouble completely metabolizing alcohol, and turn red etc when they drink. Some will tell you that its because they don't have centuries of drinking alcohol 24/7 like Europeans, who used beermaking as a water purification method. My Vietnamese ex-girlfriend would turn bright red if she was drinking.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123