Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 12:13pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What should I train in?

If I want to learn how to fight in a realistic, high-tension and fast fight, what should I train in?

I'm thinking a martial art thats focused PURELY on how to fight in a real life situation. A martial art where stalling or only exposing the back of the head(cuz its illegal to hit there) and other competition style tactics aren't allowed. One that would allow me to see an opening, react to it and take it without hesitation.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by some wise bastard
    This is a repost.
    It has all the answers you need.

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 12:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    I'm thinking a martial art thats focused PURELY on how to fight in a real life situation.
    Chat-fu and Commonsense-gung. 99.99% of all fights can be avoided by common sense, lifestyle choices and talking.

A martial art where stalling or only exposing the back of the head(cuz its illegal to hit there) and other competition style tactics aren't allowed.
    There isn't any martial art without stalling or exposing the back of the head.

One that would allow me to see an opening, react to it and take it without hesitation.
    Awareness of the moment of opportunity and reaction timing are trained by all good combat sports. Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling, Sambo, Muay Thai etc... No one martial art has a monopoly on that. Hell Rugby, Football or Ping Pong will teach you how to spot an opnening, react to it and take it without hesitation. Its a basic sporting skill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 1:32pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Love the flow chart!!!

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 2:16pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you want to go out and get in street fights. You really need to join a club or gym and start training. Sparring may help you get some of this pent up aggression out. Also may give you a realistic notion of what can happen with someone who is trained.

If you're looking for self defense, common sense and avoiding fights is the way to go.

If you want to beat people up without getting your clothes dirty, boxing and kali.

If you want to throw people onto their heads and make fun of them afterwards, Judo.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 3:59pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't you just start boxing? That's pretty much what you want based on that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 6:26pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't understand the broomstick distinction in the picture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 11:20pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Sounds like you want to go out and get in street fights. You really need to join a club or gym and start training. Sparring may help you get some of this pent up aggression out. Also may give you a realistic notion of what can happen with someone who is trained.

If you're looking for self defense, common sense and avoiding fights is the way to go.

If you want to beat people up without getting your clothes dirty, boxing and kali.

If you want to throw people onto their heads and make fun of them afterwards, Judo.
    Mostly self-defense. I live in a bad neighborhood and just recently noticed that EVERY week there is a scuffle in the streets(gotten so used to it I barely notice). Couple that with the fact that I sometimes walk home late at night. I just don't want to get dragged into one of the disputes that unprepared.

So far, I've avoided most of them via "talk-fu" and just getting the **** out'a there but what if I can't get out?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
    i don't understand the broomstick distinction in the picture.
    It's a common phrase in English to refer to someone as having a 'broomstick up their ass'.
    This serves as a double entendre, since Wing Chun fighting stance utilises a 'broomstick' posture.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 11:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I want to learn how to fight in a realistic, high-tension and fast fight, what should I train in?

I'm thinking a martial art thats focused PURELY on how to fight in a real life situation. A martial art where stalling or only exposing the back of the head(cuz its illegal to hit there) and other competition style tactics aren't allowed. One that would allow me to see an opening, react to it and take it without hesitation.
    This thread poses a general question, and does not concern martial technique. Therefore it has been moved to YMAS, the general martial arts forum.

StepInCross, the training fora are moderated for content. Please do not post off topic or non-technical threads in these areas.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast