Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is good to learn?

Hi.

There is a lady that I like, and I haven't seen in awhile. I plan on seeing her soon.

Rude people have made comments about us being together, and I didn't say anything, cause I wasn't sure if I would be able to defend myself if things got bad.

I would like to be able to tell rude people to mind their own business without worrying about not being able to defend myself.

What is good to learn?

Thank you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How to talk to other people, fag. Now shut the **** up.

:)

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido Daniel_Kemp. Don't mind Omega's wrath...he's the lone exception to the no trolling in newbietown rule.

I catch **** for having a gorgeous girlfriend, so I can empathize. There's no way around dealing with **** though. If you think it might escalate beyond words/looks, then consider Judo, or mma, or bjj...something with day to day practicality.

Ideally, if you want it to translate into self-defense, pick an art or combat sport, that trains with resistance, rather than compliance. This way, if you're forced to use what you've learned, you are still in somewhat familiar territory, as your opponent(s) certainly won't be compliant in the str33t.

Post where you live, and I'll see what I can look up...and don't be afraid of the search function up top...it is your friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:21pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Kemp View Post
    What is good to learn?

Thank you.
    that is such a broad, encompasing question, before you post again i would suggest you read the thread adressed to you in the newbietown forum (there called stickies). but ill try to help you out. some good strikeing, and practicle arts you can look into: boxing, kyokushin, and muay thai. grappeling: bjj, wrestling, russian sambo. throwing/takedown: judo, hopkido.

really its about preferance and what your looking for as a means to defend yourself. just do some research, figure out what your looking for, then find what is available to you. beware of mcdojo's (phoney instructors), and omega the alpha troll (hes better than us). hope that helped.

but seriously, read the stickies or you wont last long here.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:26pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido Daniel_Kemp. Don't mind Omega's wrath...he's the lone exception to the no trolling in newbietown rule.

I catch **** for having a gorgeous girlfriend, so I can empathize. There's no way around dealing with **** though. If you think it might escalate beyond words/looks, then consider Judo, or mma, or bjj...something with day to day practicality.

Ideally, if you want it to translate into self-defense, pick an art or combat sport, that trains with resistance, rather than compliance. This way, if you're forced to use what you've learned, you are still in somewhat familiar territory, as your opponent(s) certainly won't be compliant in the str33t.

Post where you live, and I'll see what I can look up...and don't be afraid of the search function up top...it is your friend.
    **** you hippy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:33pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't really need to learn Martial Arts to stick up for yourself. Training might help you build up self confidence and even social skills(How to talk smack without getting butthurt) but you can stick up for yourself without fighting.

Then again maybe if you are being bothered by a group of large drunk men saying nasty thing about your lady friend using your MA training probably won't help much.
    Either way here is a helpful little flowchart. Thanks to Honest_Truth.

Good Luck

http://imgur.com/0eVEv.jpg
    Last edited by The_Beak; 4/03/2011 10:38pm at . Reason: How do post pixs???

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post

Hi bobyclumsyninja.

Right now I'm in North America, but my ladyfriend works in Asia, so I will be traveling there.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by ericsenn View Post
    that is such a broad, encompasing question, before you post again i would suggest you read the thread adressed to you in the newbietown forum (there called stickies). but ill try to help you out. some good strikeing, and practicle arts you can look into: boxing, kyokushin, and muay thai. grappeling: bjj, wrestling, russian sambo. throwing/takedown: judo, hopkido.

really its about preferance and what your looking for as a means to defend yourself. just do some research, figure out what your looking for, then find what is available to you. beware of mcdojo's (phoney instructors), and omega the alpha troll (hes better than us). hope that helped.

but seriously, read the stickies or you wont last long here.
    Thank you for the tips ericsenn.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Beak View Post
    You don't really need to learn Martial Arts to stick up for yourself. Training might help you build up self confidence and even social skills(How to talk smack without getting butthurt) but you have to want to stick up for yourself.

Then again maybe if you are being bothered by a group of large drunk men saying nasty thing about your lady friend using your MA training probably won't help much.
    Either way here is a helpful little flowchart. Thanks to Honest_Truth.

Good Luck

http://imgur.com/0eVEv.jpg
    Thank you for the flowchart The_Beak.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now I'm in North America, but my ladyfriend works in Asia, so I will be traveling there.

Thank you for the recommendations.

I would recommend you learn the local laws and customs regarding foreigner's use of assault with intent to do bodily harm and likely disparate punishment meted out for such.

Then I would like for you to learn how to take Omega's initial advice and learn how to use a Fodor's Guide for wherever you are going so you might take your lady somewhere nice away from the fucktards hassling her.

Welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:49pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no problem man. and if u give bobyclumbsninja a more specific location than "north america", he could be alot more helpful. start with country, then providence/state, then closest major city if your afraid of internet stalkers, or city you live in if your serious about protecting your girl.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I would recommend you learn the local laws and customs regarding foreigner's use of assault with intent to do bodily harm and likely disparate punishment meted out for such.

Then I would like for you to learn how to take Omega's initial advice and learn how to use a Fodor's Guide for wherever you are going so you might take your lady somewhere nice away from the fucktards hassling her.

Welcome.
    That's good advice. The laws are different in different countries.

Maybe I could find a club/dojo where a bunch of bartenders/bouncers train, become friends with them, then just take my ladyfriend to the place(s) where they work, and then I don't have to worry about being bugged by rude people.

Quote Originally Posted by ericsenn View Post
    no problem man. and if u give bobyclumbsninja a more specific location than "north america", he could be alot more helpful. start with country, then providence/state, then closest major city if your afraid of internet stalkers, or city you live in if your serious about protecting your girl.
    My ladyfriend lives near Seoul in South Korea, so a club/dojo in Seoul, or somewhere near there, would be cool.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast