Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ or submission wrestling

I'm curious on everyone's thoughts on the major differences you've encountered in facing traditionally trained grapplers (bjj/judo) and those that fall under the generic umbrella of submission wrestling.

Can someone learn to be just as dominant as a grappler with no formal bjj training?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ken Shamrock.

In addition, that 'generic umbrella' includes things like folkstyle, freestyle and Greco Roman (and many others).

'generic submission wrestling' does NOT mean that there hasn't been any 'traditional' grappling training.

Short answer: you don't NEED BJJ to be dominant on the ground, however BJJ has many unique movements not found in Judo (among a whole crapload that are) and therein lay a potential for a greater or more complete ground game.
    Do BJJ.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 6:33pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Ken Shamrock.

In addition, that 'generic umbrella' includes things like folkstyle, freestyle and Greco Roman (and many others).

'generic submission wrestling' does NOT mean that there hasn't been any 'traditional' grappling training.

Short answer: you don't NEED BJJ to be dominant on the ground, however BJJ has many unique movements not found in Judo (among a whole crapload that are) and therein lay a potential for a greater or more complete ground game.
    Do BJJ.
    I'll disagree and say do submission grappling, but in the end it depends upon the instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback.

I should have chosen a different subject title. I don't mean to limit TMA grappling to BJJ, Judo etc.
    I met a few dominant grapplers than simply learned from practice and were never formally trained.

It amazes me that these guys can fair with guys such as bjj practioners that have much more structured training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 7:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ-Gi....submission grappling-no gi.

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 8:48pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The savants are incredibly rare outliers. I have to agree with the instructor > the art. If you have the choice between Matt Hume and some random BJJ black belt, go with the Wizard. However, if you have someone like Jean-Jacques Machado or a black belt with a solid competition record or record of producing solid competitors in gi and no gi, or you can go with Dave's House o'Grapplin', go with the black belt.

For the most part, belt systems for judo and bjj help to keep some level of quality control. But understand that not all black belts are equal just as not all professors of any discipline or competitors in any sport are equal.

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 2:53am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I'll disagree and say do submission grappling, but in the end it depends upon the instructor.
    This ^^^

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think its worth considering that there's a lot of places where submission grappling is tacked on to a TMA curriculum and is done so poorly, by karate/kungfu/taekwondo teachers who have watched a lot of youtube. They wouldn't call it BJJ though because then they could be asked about lineage etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 5:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are Sambo, Judo, Catch Wrestlings, etc (non exhaustives list), schools that produce highly skilled grapplers. So you definitely don't need to go BJJ if you have a judo club nearby that does good newaza, or a good catch club, a good Sambo academy, etc... however as far as informal training... there might be brilliant grapplers out there without formal training and rank... but that'd be rare and for an unskilled beginners grappler hard to distinguish from a fraud. It's much better to go with someone with some sort of identifiable and researchable pedigree. Personally I see the difference between "BJJ" and "Submission Wrestling" as being SW is BJJ without a gi... and I think the gi is a great training tool so I always recommend going gi.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 5:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hay guyz should I get a car or a Honda?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast