Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually have decided to to stick out the diet for a couple of weeks and give my body time to rest and adjust. The problem is I'm still eating way below the recommended caloric intake on the new diet because so much of the food is low calorie but high in the sensation of feeling full. Regardless of how you feel about the P90X diet in itself, I'm getting less than 2K calories each day, so adding in an intense workout routine is kinda out of the question until my diet plateaus more.

I'm surprised so many of you are opposed to muscle confusion training. I've actually got a BS in biology and have spent my entire life working out in one form or another, minus my recent dark domesticated years. :( I'm certainly not a nutrition expert or a fitness expert, but I'm not a novice either, and muscle confusion training does work quite well for many people. I'm not suggesting that P90X is a great confusion program, only that many experts support muscle confusion as productive. I don't expect the quick gains from such training to continue forever, obviously, but I've actually seen the end results in two close friends and they were in amazing shape from it (not P90X, just a generalized muscle confusion program).

My primary reason for P90X is just my belief in muscle confusion training and wanting an at home routine so I can skip the long drive to my gym everyday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 2:12pm

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say that muscle confusion doesn't work (although I hate that term; that's not what's happening), but that it's not the best way to go about seeing gains. It's like taking a shotgun to a shooting range. You will hit your target with some shot, but you aren't getting better as a shooter.

The only important factor in muscle development is volume overload followed by recuperation via rest and protein synthesis. Even then, how you exercise only really matters in that it will decide if your Type IIa fibers behave like Type IIx or like Type I fibers. The way that muscle increases in size is by activating fibers that were atrophied, and using a wide variety of exercises will usually hit a wider range of fibers than sticking with the old standbys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 9:53pm

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my gripe with P90x is the focus on the glamor muscles. Rather than doing strict bicep curls, i feel like there are so many other exercises you can do that work your biceps and other muscles at the same time.

it still was an enjoyable experience, especially since i did it with my roommates and we were able to motivate each other during those 90 days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 6:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done P90X (and the previous P90, which is also good but a bit boring). Whether or not muscle confusion is effective or not, varying the workout does make the training less monotonous.

Customizing the workout is definitely an option. I avoid the plyometrics completely due to knee issues and use the CardioX as a substitute.

As for your personal situation....I'm no professional but any workout that makes you sick is probably doing more harm than good.

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 12:40am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I found that P90x gave me a great beginning point and is a respectable program for individuals who don't know to google search a training program.

body, div, table, thead, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, p { font-family: "Arial"; font-size: x-small; } EMT training

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have completed the P90X (January 9th, 2011 to April 9th, 2011). That was Round 1. I started Round 2 last week. If you feel that you have not completed a dvd or a workout... what you can do is do the next days routine and "Bank" the routine you did not complete for a better day... lets say if you have to do Yoga X or X-Stretch on a certain day, finish the required disc, then later that day do the exercise dvd that you have missed.

This is what you can do if you miss or if you did not complete a certain day.
    What I also do is... I swap Yoga X and X-Stretch days.. for example Yoga is usually Wednesday and X-Stretch is usually Saturday.. So instead I swap the 2, I do X-Stretch on Wednesdays and Yoga X on Saturday because Yoga is the longest DVD in P90X and I dont have that kind of time on Weekdays, I save Yoga for Early Saturday morning 1hr after breakfast.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the P90X and have lost 25lbs in Round 1. I'm still doing the program (2nd week of Round 2).

I bought it last year and my goal this year is to do it 3 times. Round 1 is done. Round 2 I started early May. Round 3 I want to start September.

My advice is to stick with it. If you feel you have progressed, then try INSANITY .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post
    from experience, just stop, take the rest of the week off, get well, and start from the beginning.
    I had this problem lol! I was suppose to start Jan 2nd of this year, but was too f'n sore from plyos, I had to take the rest of the week off. Then started all over again Jan 9th, and successfully finished April 9th. Stick with it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2011 9:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best part about P90X is variety. You will be more flexible than before (alot of people really neglect stretching altogether). Great Core Workouts. Lots of the stretches I had never done or seen before when I started the program back in January. Plyos is awesome, Yoga is hard and to master everything in Yoga X is really difficult especially the routine after Warrior III, Kenpo X is just straight up fun, and X-Stretch is pretty key to overall flexibility. Core Synergistics, Ab Ripper X.

What P90X is missing in my opinion are more groin stretches and stretches that will help you do the splits, if they had incorporated this, then it would be pretty complete.

Don't listen to people that have never done the program, they really don't know the variety behind P90X and how effective it really is...

Maybe next year I'll try INSANITY.....????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2011 12:45am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did and finished P90x and P90x plus... pretty tought stuff, but not impossiple. I was in great shape, though. Now, I'm doing another routine with less time and better gains due to better equipment I purchased.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast