Posted On:
    4/03/2011 5:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

P90X Training/Diet Question

Hello Community,

I've been out of training for several months because of some pretty severe food allergy and stomach infection issues. Three days ago I went to the ER because of those problems, and two days ago started a P90X routine.

[Yes, yes, not smart to start an intense workout right after leaving the ER. I'm expecting to be dealing with my stomach problems for several months to years in the future, so if I don't start to make myself resume training now, I'm never going to get back into shape, and hopefully improve my some of my symptoms along the way.]

So day 1 of P90X, I probably ate like 50-75% of the calories I was supposed to eat that day. Day 2 (today) I'm trying to eat the entire portion (I'm at about 75% so far), but I only made it 50% through the plyometrics workout before nearly vomiting and deciding that was as far as I was gonna make it. I think the calorie deficit and the fact that I only had a protein shake and a bottle of water before the workout (and had taken a regiment of vitamins with it) probably was insufficient for so much jumping around.

My question, for those who have done the routine before, is should I just skip the rest of the plyometrics workout and make it up next rotation (there are 12 routines with P90X), or should I redo the workout tomorrow, despite fatigued legs? Today is finished for my workout. With the calorie deficit I feel like I've been hit with a Mack Truck. Common sense says make it up next rotation, but what do the experienced P90Xers say?

Thank You,
    Hugs and Teddy Bears,
    Antiherozero

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:09pm

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from experience, just stop, take the rest of the week off, get well, and start from the beginning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 2:55pm

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wizwar31 View Post
    from experience, just stop, take the rest of the week off, get well, and start from the beginning.
    This. From a professional point of view, I'm not a fan of P90X. It's certainly not beginner material, and trying to codify such an intense workout into 3 narrow groups, as they do with their workout routine suggestions, is doing a disservice to people who aren't informed on the topic of exercise physiology.

If you can afford P90X, you can afford a few sessions with a personal trainer, or any of the fine computer programs out there that act as a trainer. You can get this for $60 and it will help make a program that's right for you, and increase the intensity at a safe pace based on your input. http://www.exercise-explorer.com/pro...e_std.php?qn=1

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You souldn't waste your money with P90X. Instead, pay for a nutritionist. That would probably be better suited for your food alergies and stomach problems.

If you have health problems, you have to consult a professional before starting a new diet.

For the training, you can look around on the net and find a beginner program. Then, when you finish it, you can look for an intermadiate program and so on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 10:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF!! P90X breaks your body down pretty severely, especially if you aren't in shape. Figure out your diet first, then attempt the workouts.
    If you start the program, don't be afraid to skip days in between workouts, as it will it will help your body recover. Don't think that you have to blaze through the workout completely. Do the best you can, then stop. Listen to your body. It sounds like you shouldn't even be thinking about a workout like this with your ailments, especially if you can't eat right. Some of the previous advice should be considered!

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 11:40pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most fat nerds I know who've actually succeeded with P90X started with just the P90 program first. But honestly, listen to Kets, or someone else who actually knows what they're talking about.

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 9:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, with regards to P90X, it doesn't waork. It is a myth, and is based upon the false premise that if you vary your exercises, you can confuse your muscles into growing. It just doesn't work that way. The only way to significantly see gains in strength and/or size is through progressively overloading a muscle, by adding small increments of weight each week, or doing more reps, etc. Simply varying the exercises that you do doesn't cut it.

Secondly, at this point in time so close after surgery, Id say you should probably look at easing yourself in very gently, by training at most 2 days a week. After we exercise, blood and muscle glutamine levels drop considerably, as does the activity of lymphocytes (immune cells), making us more susceptable to infection. This is normally not that much of a problem for most people, but as you have just come out of surgery recently, Id imagine that you are somewhat immuno-compromised as it is, and the last thing you want is to end up making yourself worse just for the sake of exercising.

The fact that you are unable to properly fuel your workout will only add to these problems, and you'll probably be missing out on vital vitamins and minerals, as well as macronutrients, which will only make you worse.

Get yourself better, then focus on getting strong.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 4:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, forget P90X. Even if you are one of the lucky few that gets any substantial results from it, it's only gonna be good for those 90 days anyway. Then you're back to square-one again. You're better off actually learning about the subject, developing your fundamentals. Systems come and go, but knowledge is forever. With the right knowledge, you can progress for a lifetime.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 4:49pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, plyometrics are not for beginners. They're potentially dangerous for someone who is overweight. And even for advanced athletes, they're not intended to be used as a form of cardio. They're power-development exercises that can place a high level of stress on the joints. Used properly, plyos are done with high intensity, low volume, not highly repetitive.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2011 5:57pm

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, i found that P90x gave me a great starting point and is a decent program for people who dont know enough to google search a training program.

I did bulk up a lot, but like TaeBo stated, after the 90 days, it was all downhill.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast