Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 1:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do those shoes work on different terrain?

I'm pondering to train for one of these survival parkours marathons (Tough Mudder - thx Pandinha for pointing me there), and the people that I talked to all wanted to sell me on those shoes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 1:20am

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough Mudder looks pretty sick. I've pondered the same a few times, but I'm apparently not man enough.

I like the VFF for a multi-surface run. The Vibram rubber is a good sole. I find the grip a little too much for dojo training, but I've loved them for running and climbing. The rubber itself has pretty decent grip, and it's got tons of micro-cuts running across it, which open very slightly when it's flexed. Adds even more grip.

However, as training for a marathon is already pretty difficult, be aware of the difference between "barefoot" running and traditional running shoes. I mean specifically the extra load it puts on a few of the muscles of your lower leg, and your increased risk of damage to the plantar fascia. Going into training slowly and carefully can save you time in the long run.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 1:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, man. - For me, the point is really, I got to work way more on cardio, and thus the crossfit-ish training TM preparation requires is just right for me at the moment. And ALL those guys do barefoot running, which indeed keeps me puzzled, mainly because of the risk of unjury you mentioned.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 2:44am

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the smell doesnt go away with just machine washing or febreeze or any other deoderant type spray. I have always used vinegar to get the smell out of mine. it seems weird but i lightly douse them in vinegar and let them dry in the sun...BAM no more smell

the trick to keeping the smell away is being vigilant with washing them and to not store them in a gym bag while still wet from sweat. its best to let them dry in the sun

WHoever asked about running in the snow: its really all up to what your body can handle man. i was living in GA when i first got mine and couldnt run in them in the winter. my feet and ankles were too cold for it to be a pleasant experience

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 6:27am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    And ALL those guys do barefoot running, which indeed keeps me puzzled, mainly because of the risk of unjury you mentioned.
    CrossFit monkees live to find excitingly quirky and trademarkable exersize variations to increase their injury risk factors.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 2:53pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    Aren't they machine washable? Why not just throw them (along with your other smelly gym stuff) into the washing machine with some febreeze-tide?
    Hand wash to keep them looking new. From what I'm reading of other peep's experience, a hand wash will extend the life of your VFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 6:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Army Combatives, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took me a while to get accustomed to my KSOs but I've also got 17 years of bad Army running shoe experience. I love them now and my knees kill me if I try to run in anything else. It definitely requires a learning curve but it's worth it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234