Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    holy ****, you were right.
    This is not a joke.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This is not a joke.
    Yep...which makes it all funnier, IMO.

EDIT: Remembering where we are discussing this. We could invite chunners from teh chun forums to the mega. I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure if it'll just result in more trollNo0b invasions.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 7/14/2011 10:14am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stb'a View Post
    wing chun is hated because a chunner beat up veteran bully in a gong sau

however, i will say that some chun instruction vastly improved my tae kwon do point sparring. Also, i have been told that chunners have an easier time with judo grip fighting. So it's not completely useless.

ha ha ha
    ha ha ha ha
    ha ha ha ha ha
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My take on it

This is my first post here so go easy on me.

I've been exploring a bit lately to find a new art I'd like to train in.
    Two of them I landed on were Wing Chun schools.
    The first, was apparently real Ip Man Wing Chun. The sifu had apparently trained under Samuel Kwok and assured me this was the real thing. So I thought I'd try it out since it was quite surprising that here in Cape Town, SA, there'd be such a lineage claim.
    He seemed to know a lot, but after a month of training, all I'd done was do the first form over and over. No actual training, conditioning.. and of course no sparring.
    Apart from being over-priced, it offered no workout at all, a lot of tall tales about training with Ip-Ching etc., fights he was in and narcissistic self-praising.
    In that month I found that the system claims to be super-simple and to the point, yet is overly-complex and rigid. Though the throat strikes/eye strikes etc can be good for self-defence, they are covered in Karate/TKD and pretty much anything and are hardly unique to the style. There are some concepts that are interesting, but as an overall-self-defense system, I found it a bit full of exaggerated claims.

The second school was better - apparently Randy-Williams' version. More of a workout and stretching.. less theory focus.. Useless self-defense drills.. Pointless long forms that bore you to death.. and again.. NO SPARRING.

I don't think the style is terrible, but if you don't spar, you're fooling yourself.
    Cheers

Page 26 of 26 First ... 162223242526