Page 26 of 28 First ... 1622232425262728 Last
  1. #251

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    875
    Style
    Western Boxing, Tai Chi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    holy ****, you were right.
    This is not a joke.

  2. #252
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,037
    Style
    Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This is not a joke.
    Yep...which makes it all funnier, IMO.

    EDIT: Remembering where we are discussing this. We could invite chunners from teh chun forums to the mega. I was thinking about it, but I'm not sure if it'll just result in more trollNo0b invasions.
    Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 7/14/2011 10:14am at .

  3. #253
    Coach Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,190
    Style
    Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ
    Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stb'a View Post
    wing chun is hated because a chunner beat up veteran bully in a gong sau

    however, i will say that some chun instruction vastly improved my tae kwon do point sparring. Also, i have been told that chunners have an easier time with judo grip fighting. So it's not completely useless.

    ha ha ha
    ha ha ha ha
    ha ha ha ha ha
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

  4. #254

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    1
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    My take on it

    This is my first post here so go easy on me.

    I've been exploring a bit lately to find a new art I'd like to train in.
    Two of them I landed on were Wing Chun schools.
    The first, was apparently real Ip Man Wing Chun. The sifu had apparently trained under Samuel Kwok and assured me this was the real thing. So I thought I'd try it out since it was quite surprising that here in Cape Town, SA, there'd be such a lineage claim.
    He seemed to know a lot, but after a month of training, all I'd done was do the first form over and over. No actual training, conditioning.. and of course no sparring.
    Apart from being over-priced, it offered no workout at all, a lot of tall tales about training with Ip-Ching etc., fights he was in and narcissistic self-praising.
    In that month I found that the system claims to be super-simple and to the point, yet is overly-complex and rigid. Though the throat strikes/eye strikes etc can be good for self-defence, they are covered in Karate/TKD and pretty much anything and are hardly unique to the style. There are some concepts that are interesting, but as an overall-self-defense system, I found it a bit full of exaggerated claims.

    The second school was better - apparently Randy-Williams' version. More of a workout and stretching.. less theory focus.. Useless self-defense drills.. Pointless long forms that bore you to death.. and again.. NO SPARRING.

    I don't think the style is terrible, but if you don't spar, you're fooling yourself.
    Cheers

  5. #255

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Near Montréal
    Posts
    11
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more I read this thread, the more I'm happy my instructor has a kickboxing background and does full contact sparring.

    How in the world can someone be good at fighting without ever.... fighting?

    That said, I think that even if Wing Chun is regulary critizice here (with good reasons on some points IMO), it's not worst than most "traditionnal" karate, commercial kenpo or other McDojo.

    "zenkutsu dachi than gedan barai and see? Your low kick isn't doing s*** to me". Yhea, right!

  6. #256

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Style
    TKD, various weapons
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivity360 View Post
    That said, I think that even if Wing Chun is regulary critizice here (with good reasons on some points IMO), it's not worst than most "traditionnal" karate, commercial kenpo or other McDojo.
    Most McDojo karate/TKD is aimed to children. I haven't seen Wing Chun classes that are 75% or more primary school children; IME they're more adult-oriented. Which is one reason why they push theory more. Which is one reason why they attract more criticism. That and common WC claims to be the greatest of all martial arts. Kiddie karate generally doesn't claim to be a super martial art or a super-duper theoretical basis, so why should it be criticised as heavily as WC?

    Instead, compare WC with traditional adult-oriented karate. Maybe Kyokushin?

  7. #257

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,689
    Style
    kenpo, Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen View Post
    Most McDojo karate/TKD is aimed to children. I haven't seen Wing Chun classes that are 75% or more primary school children; IME they're more adult-oriented. Which is one reason why they push theory more. Which is one reason why they attract more criticism. That and common WC claims to be the greatest of all martial arts. Kiddie karate generally doesn't claim to be a super martial art or a super-duper theoretical basis, so why should it be criticised as heavily as WC?

    Instead, compare WC with traditional adult-oriented karate. Maybe Kyokushin?
    Wrestling, boxing, and muay thai are all very intensive on theory but they do not get criticized. Maybe it is the quality of the theories.

  8. #258

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Near Montréal
    Posts
    11
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen View Post
    Most McDojo karate/TKD is aimed to children. I haven't seen Wing Chun classes that are 75% or more primary school children; IME they're more adult-oriented. Which is one reason why they push theory more. Which is one reason why they attract more criticism. That and common WC claims to be the greatest of all martial arts. Kiddie karate generally doesn't claim to be a super martial art or a super-duper theoretical basis, so why should it be criticised as heavily as WC?

    Instead, compare WC with traditional adult-oriented karate. Maybe Kyokushin?
    Well, I can't say you're wrong but I can't confirmed by my experience. Where I am (Montréal north shore), Wing Chun is taught to kids as well. Than, I have met more than enough shotokan/shorin ryu adults that though they could break my clavicle with one karate chop. Actually, on others french forums I went, Shotokan was the most hated and critizice martial art far in front of WC. Maybe the shotokan fanatism isn't spread that much elsewhere... That being said, I understand it doesn't represent the whole world (the WC school fight as hard and often as the kyokushin one here...). It's just that I haven't met many chunners on this forum yet.

  9. #259

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Style
    TKD, various weapons
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Wrestling, boxing, and muay thai are all very intensive on theory but they do not get criticized. Maybe it is the quality of the theories.
    Wrestling (and judo) are very intensive on technique. I wouldn't call "technique" the same as "theory", but I can see why somebody might. Haven't heard the kind of thing that's offered as WC "theory" talked about in boxing. Don't have experience in muay thai to compare.

    The quality of the theory does probably matter. A lot.

  10. #260
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,449
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivity360 View Post
    How in the world can someone be good at fighting without ever.... fighting?
    Simply put, they can't. More importantly, one cannot know if their system is effective without testing with resistance. The slap-n-tickle (_ing __un) has some really good theories and I personally employ deflection and re-direction if possible, but I also know what it is like to get hit in the face.

Page 26 of 28 First ... 1622232425262728 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO