Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 3:50am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Help me understand why I would do this instead of the basic BJJ 101 sickle sweep? This isn't really a troll I have a good sickle sweep and often skip past the opportunity to use some of these positions.

Why not? It works it's not exepcted and it's a great counter to knee slice passing/standing passes. We could argue back in forward about the counters and recounter, advantages and disadvantages of the sickle sweep, but that'd be pointless.

Also sickle sweep what does it get you? A change in position from top to bottom. What does the kod get you? The back. Instead of having to go from sweeping, to passing, to side , to mount, to the back.

Anyway, I swear I'll post those vids as soon as I get school squared away.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 9:30am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally got to play around with this. Clearly I still need some work getting my opponent to posture up, or possibly on shooting through faster. I kept getting stuck when they collapsed down on me. I'd end up re-composing or switching to deep half guard and finishing the sweep.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Finally got to play around with this. Clearly I still need some work getting my opponent to posture up, or possibly on shooting through faster. I kept getting stuck when they collapsed down on me. I'd end up re-composing or switching to deep half guard and finishing the sweep.
    9/10 When you first start doing this position people hip into you. Pushing away and coming up to your knees to do the knee tap is the best answer. Once they learn it's not always the best idea to just hip down into you then they'll try to maintain their base or work other passes, thus opening up the other sweeps.

If you video yourself doing it I could offer tips.
    Last edited by DKJr; 4/12/2011 10:33am at .

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 11:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will add in the knee tap to the combination. I only tried for it once and abandoned back to guard because my partner got inside my collar with his near hand.

Wish I could post video. I have to plug my (old) camcorder in to the TV to watch my videos and can't upload them to save my life. Anyway I usually get a list of things to work on and then take a private lesson.

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 2:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a variation off the reverse de la riva from Cobrinha. I'm trying to upload the video I did on troubleshooting options and grips from rdlr but it seems too long. I'll try again shooting it in shorter segments tonight.

Here Rafa shows a nogi version of the frazatto sweep.

"To apply this sweep from the reverse DLR you will need to be familiar with the set-up from half guard.
    As you spin under for the back take and they remain upright – follow through and take the back. If your opponent begins to drop his weight you won’t be able to get your outside hook between their legs.
    Instead, keep it forward (watching out for leg attacks) and load their weight onto the hamstring of the leg that’s underneath their body.
    One hand should be gripping the knee (either inside or outside) of their lead leg while the other pulls down on their triceps to lock them in place. From here, pendulum your free leg forward.
    You will push your opponent upside down, causing him to fall in front of you. Ride his weight up to the top position, making sure to pull your leg out from underneath him to achieve top half-guard."

Pulled this write up from http://thejiujitsulab.wordpress.com (I even got one of my vids put up there!)

I've used this in gi/nogi with an armdrag variation with my dragging arm pulling their weight over my hips, while my other hand that was grabbing their wrist goes under their thigh or to their ankle.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one of the troubleshooting vids. Hope it's what you're looking for.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right on. Especially the last min and a half or so was where I got stuck. I kept trying to force them away then dive under which led to them collapsing in on me. Bringing them in makes sense. I was able to use the knee tap a couple times last night while working on this.

PS - you're not from TX are you? You talk way too fast for a southerner.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:33am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zapruder is the same way. I think it's just something wrong with the TX bullies.

DKJ: Got anything solid for what to do if you can't break the pants grip on that bottom hand? Just keep it in place and go for the sweep anyways or do you NEED to get the leg free? If you can't break the grip where should/can you go from there?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the first minute. That helped me get my head around the why's a lot better.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post

PS - you're not from TX are you? You talk way too fast for a southerner.
    ADD it's a bitch.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast