Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 1:00am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reverse de la riva/spiral guard

As a frequent watcher of high level jiu jitsu matches, I've noticed the increased use of this position.
    I was personally introduced to this position about a year ago by an Atos blackbelt. I've decided to take the time to discuss and share what I've learned trying to implement it into my game.

What is the RDLR/Spiral guard?
    There are two ways to play the rdlr. First is shown below.

There is a sleeve grip and ankle grip with the outside hand, with the dlr hook facing out and on his hip (non dlr hook side). This won't be the method I will be discussing. Why? My experience has been it is too easy for your opponent to smash the dlr hook leg down or break the ankle grip and kneeslice. Not saying it is impossible to use, just I believe there is a different answer.

Second variation (much more like a standing half guard variation)

Facing our opponent the dlr hook is vertical with the knee being pinched tight. The outside leg foot is posted on the hip, pushing into the opponent while conversely pulling with the dlr hook. The sleeve grip with the outside hand is desired but optional as a collar would suffice. The inside hand is gripping the ankle or wrapped around with the heel on your biceps like you're doing a hammer curl.

What can I do from here?

Depending on whether they are standing or in combat base there are several things you can do. If they stand to try to pass the first thing I would attempt is a single leg, push out with your leg on the hip, post on the mat with your hand that was gripping the ankle, hug the leg with your other arm. Your leg that was hooking should be on the mat curled behind their ankle. Drive your hips up and forward and pull your leg back. It should feel like a low single.

The other more cool option is the Kiss of the Dragon or spin under to the back. This move while seemingly complex is devestating as it allows you to bypass having to sweep, pass guard, and take the back. To simply sweeping straight to the back.

Against combat base

Against standing

The one thing you'll notice is that this move doesn't necessarily require the gi. (As demonstrated below) however taking the back does become a more difficult prospect.

At 6 seconds the asian guy pulls it off.

At 3:54 Chris Westfall in gray pulls it off against Frost Murphy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vr5p...mbedded#at=231

(so awesome) :SoMuchWin:

The thing to look out for is your opponent blocking your foot as you spin inverted and then basing back and controlling your head.

I love that this position allows me to control the distance and transition between rdlr, dlr, butterfly, sitting guard,deep half and 50/50.

Dealing with the threat of the kneeslice pass.....

will come later once I've uploaded videos and have more time. I'll also discuss an old school-esque move as well.:problem:

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 1:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the kneetap video. There's alot of backround noise I know, but you should get the idea.

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 2:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And heres a video about dealing with a knee slice pass and a fancy Atos style sweep to deal with it.

Here's an example of JT Torres doing it in competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...vz6KChk#t=546s

*Disclaimer* I don't claim any of these moves as my own, this one I was inspired by Lloyd Irvin's spam...ahem emails to bring this one out of my closet. Ed also showed me this move last summer along with several other sweeps from half, 50/50, dlr, and rdlr.*

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 2:42am

staff
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

oohh..

Thanks for the well-laid-out descriptions and videos... I'll have to play with this (open mat beckons!) :FemaleHappy:

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally here is me demoing KOD. I'm no Rafael Mendes so it's not going to be perfect, but at least I speak english.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good thread. Small detail on this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    IMHO it's preferable to reach for the far hip with the under-hook rather than the belt. Allows you to pull them in tighter/stops them running and provides better control for the follow-up roll-back sweep if they manage to bend their leg and you end up in the dog fight. Also you're harder to brabo or guillotine if your head is as tight/underhook is as deep as possible.

One other option, that I have no video for, is if your opponent pretty much sits down to protect their back and you back roll up into either a kneebar position or back-step half-guard, depending on preference.

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Good thread. Small detail on this one:
    IMHO it's preferable to reach for the far hip with the under-hook rather than the belt. Allows you to pull them in tighter/stops them running and provides better control for the follow-up roll-back sweep if they manage to bend their leg and you end up in the dog fight. Also you're harder to brabo or guillotine if your head is as tight/underhook is as deep as possible.

One other option, that I have no video for, is if your opponent pretty much sits down to protect their back and you back roll up into either a kneebar position or back-step half-guard, depending on preference.
    To help counter the whizzer, the placement of my head at 1:35 is the most important as I can still drive and reap that knee. Sometimes I will switch legs that is hooking their leg and drive.

I typically use the belt grip to facilitate the roll back sweep or dive under sweep etc. Really though since I do about 50/50 gi/nogi I tend to just use underhooks. I said grab the belt because I was told to lol. Not a great reason I know.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 11:09am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were working on the KOD (stupid name) from X Guard last night. I notice a lot of similarities in the approaches of these 2 sweeps.

Could you give a little more detail on the entry to the combat base sweep? Seems like if the opponent just maintains a decent, low base you'd get stuck on the dive under. Are you forcing him up or timing this on his stand/surge forward?

Also thanks for the ADCC highlights. Those clips make me weep for all the things I am not.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 11:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Could you give a little more detail on the entry to the combat base sweep? Seems like if the opponent just maintains a decent, low base you'd get stuck on the dive under. Are you forcing him up or timing this on his stand/surge forward?
    You're elevating him with the leg hook, a bit like a Roleta-esque inverted guard sweep.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 11:32am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been using this pass with 100 percent success lately. I'd say in about a week or two, I won't be due to everyone in the academy figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast