Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 9:25pm

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Follow through

How do you learn to follow through on your punches?

I've been going to a boxing gym(still deciding on getting a membership though) and apparently I have no follow through. I'm being sent to the heavy bag for almost the entire session now. I'm told that I need to get closer and dig the my punches through rather than snapping it out and snapping it back in but how exactly do you do this?

I can do it but for some reason my forearms hurt when I do it, I'm told that Its just a matter of repetition but I don't feel like I'm learning anything? Am I doing something wrong here?

It just feels so unnatural.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep going to the boxing gym. I'm impressed I didn't think you'd even do that much.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 9:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kevin Rooney (Mike Tyson's trainer) said that he'd make Mike aim for the back of his opponent's skull. Tyson would connect with a punch and attempt to "push his opponent's nose through his skull and try to make it come out the back of his head". I'm just started learning the sweet science also but that's what I like to think of when I find myself pussing out on the heavy bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So its SUPPOSED to feel that unnatural? And am I supposed to build muscle on my forearms or something cuz it gets really painful trying to dig the punches in.

Also, I'm told that I should use less hip rotation and use my power leg to throw my punch in rather than basically whipping my arms using hip rotation. It all feels so counter-intuitive.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 10:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a excerpt from Jack Dempsey's: Championship Fighting Explosive Punching and Aggressive Defense that might be helpful:

It's strange but true that certain fundamental movements seem unnatural to the beginner in nearly every activity requiring close coordination between body and mind.
    Fist-fighting is no exception. Some of the fundamental moves seem awkwardly unnatural when first tried. That's particularly true of the movements in explosive long-range straight punching, the basic weapon in fist-fighting or boxing.
    In fighting, as in many other activities, it's natural for the beginner to do the wrong thing. It's natural for him to swing rather than punch straight. It's natural for him to hit with the wrong knuckles of his fist. It's natural for him to use leg-tangling footwork, etc.
    Let me emphasize again that you will feel very awkward when you first try the moves in long-range straight punching. I stress that awkwardness for two reasons: (1) so that you won't figure you're a hopeless palooka, and (2) so that you'll pay no attention to wisecracks of friends or sideline experts who watch your early flounderings. Remember: He laughs last who hits hardest.
    Also if you're worried about it I'd talk to my trainer. He knows one hell of a lot more than either of us do. Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 10:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "It's natural for him to use leg-tangling footwork"

This is the bane of my existence.

"long-range straight punching, the basic weapon in fist-fighting or boxing."

This, I LOVE THIS. It feels exactly like the shadow boxing I've been doing before I went to gym and I'm relatively good at it for a newbie.

Its the so called short wrist punches that feels counter-intuitive to me. The straight punches come naturally but swinging the fist for an upper or a hook feels unnatural to me because its hard to snap it back into guard like a jab or a straight.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 11:03pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't snap hooks or uppercuts back along their path to guard, you follow through and return to guard at the end of the natural movement of the punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    You don't snap hooks or uppercuts back along their path to guard, you follow through and return to guard at the end of the natural movement of the punch.
    I'll try that. Maybe thats what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 9:48am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you don't throw the uppercut like a hadooooooken, though.

Watch video of pro boxers shadow-boxing, video yourself, and compare.

A good exercise is to Shadow Box and do some bag work very slowly and with exaggerated precision (footwork, head movement, rotation, etc.) It will start to feel more natural the more you do.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/02/2011 7:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No the shadow boxing advice is wrong. You are a girlie man with lady hands. Stick to the heavy bag until it has a big ass dent in it and your noodle arms aren't sore anymore. +/- 3 months.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast