Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 10:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nisho's iaido was also pretty damn awesome.

He created Aiki Toho Iai based on his knowledge of aikido and iaido.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 1:39pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of interest, as I plan to do aikido in about ten years or so, how much time have the aikidokas on the board trained in other martial arts for?

Also, is it true about the hot chicks?

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 1:48pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Just out of interest, as I plan to do aikido in about ten years or so, how much time have the aikidokas on the board trained in other martial arts for?
    Aikido 20yrs (current)
    Kali 1 year (current)
    Muay Thai 3 months (current)
    Judo 2 years (stopped)
    Booj Ninjin' 18 months (stopped)

We've only had two hot chicks so far, but they were fucking A grade smokin' hot!

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 2:34pm

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    In my very limited experience, the aikido ukemi is always circular, and they don't spend much time if any learning how to take a hard fall. Unless your judo practice is strictly randori, you will get to do plenty of ukemi practice - in our club, we practice it specifically each class, plus you take a bunch of falls practicing throws, plus during randori we often go throw for throw. Finally if you learn kata you will spend a lot of time hitting the mat.
    -Just for clarification, when you say "circular" are you talking about tenkan? I don't want to misunderstand your question and answer in gibberish. Not all Aikido technique practiced end up in a hard fall, but I would say I am lucky that several guys in my Aikido club like to throw people pretty hard and I need to break fall properly unless I want to get hurt.
    -My uni's judo club is about 20% Drill+Conditioning, 40% tachiwaza randori, 40% newaza rolling, so probably not enough ukemi practice.

Aikido-2.5 years
    Judo-3 months
    BJJ-3 months
    MMA-2 months
    And no, I am yet to see hot Aikido chicks... but I've seen couple of hot Judo chicks.

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:19pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oonjuk View Post
    -Just for clarification, when you say "circular" are you talking about tenkan?
    No, tenkan is just a method for stepping offline or around. By circular I mean that mostly, and I stress again in my limited experience, we just took nice big rolls. Very seldom did we do anything where we got drilled straight down into the mats as so often happens in judo. I didn't see any aikido technique that was the equivalent of a judo shoulder or hip technique - mostly you just get projected forward or back. Although I guess you could take a reasonably hard fall from iriminage, I never saw it - we just rolled back in a cooperative fashion.

As far as the chicks go - way more of them in general in aikido than in judo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 4:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not sure if i wrote this but i also train bjj my only concern is i want a style for self defense as in judo (just about 6 classes so far) i don't see much self defense other than throws and some sweeps so i figured if aikido was legit it would be ok?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 4:49pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostBushid0 View Post
    im not sure if i wrote this but i also train bjj my only concern is i want a style for self defense as in judo (just about 6 classes so far) i don't see much self defense other than throws and some sweeps so i figured if aikido was legit it would be ok?
    A throw is a pretty damn effective form of physical self defence. If self defence is your goal—i.e. practical application of martial techniques against an aggressor—you need, need, need to practice your techniques against unco-operative opponents in a sparring context. (Cf. this.) Judo will almost invariably provide this. Aikido, it seems, usually won’t.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 5:07pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is usually considered as a better form of SD than BJJ. I certainly consider it to be, but YMMV. Judo teaches you to move, control your opponent and stay standing. Nike-do is probably the best kind of SD, frankly.

Aikido, how shall I say this, sucks. And I have couple of years of hard-style aikido dedicated to SD in my background. It did have more women, but also a fair percentage of lesbians (and no, not the pretty ones...). If you want hot chicks, do capoeira. Dear Lord.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    If you want hot chicks, do capoeira. Dear Lord.
    Oh gawd YES!!!! I'm going to Earth Day down in San Diego in a couple weeks and I never miss the capoeira demonstration. (my girlfriend likes it too... bi girls have their advantages ^_^)
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 6:54pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostBushid0 View Post
    Is your BJJ club sport based? My club has a self defense mindset I find better for self defense than other styles i've trained. ( 5 years Balintawak FMA, 1 yr hapkido, 6 months JJJ, 10 months BJJ)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast