3/31/2011 11:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tuf 13: Episode 1 **Spoilers***

Name:  medium_The_Ultimate_Fighter_13_Tryouts_Interviews.png
Views: 311
Size:  88.4 KB

I started watching this with EXTREMELY low expectations and found myself really surprised with both JDS and Brock.

Dana came in and announced that they wouldn't have to fight their way into the house this year, which all the guys were happy about. That kind of seemed weird to me. I felt that some of the guys would have preferred to show themselves through combat, but I know it will cut down on injuries.

It was really interesting to see what the 2 different coaches valued. Brock was all about the cardio and aggression, while JDS was lookinf for guys who were strong and good wrestlers. This appeared to come out with their picks and evaluation process. It appears that Brock is looking at guys on pure athletic ability. Erik Paulson is going to have a heavy hand in training these guys it seems...even for standup. Seemed odd to see Paulson only focusing on standup with a guy who was taking on a wrestler.

The first fight looked like a Kosheck fight. Even Dana was pretty unimpressed. Shamar did not put a lot of effort into doing some ground and pound when he had his opponent down, which was most of the fight. He just controlled him and tried for submission attempts.However, Shamar was very clear that since this was his first fight he was giving away NOTHING and that he was doing exactly what his coaches asked him to do. He said he had a lot more in his arsenal but wasn't going to show it yet.

From the previews of next week...it appears that Brock is going to have some problems. It just appears to me that Brock's coaching staff might be a tad outranked. Then again this was JDS' first pick against brock's last so dude should have got smashed.

All in all, I actually think I am going to like this one. Irreguardless of how you feel about the fighters, they both have plans and they both are in it to win it.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 11:56am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was flipping channels and caught this just before the fight. I didn't get to see the opening house drama or coaches picks - wish I had, and thanks for the overview.

I thought Shamar controlled the german guy pretty well, but his sub attempts were pretty weak and telegraphed. And who kept saying "put your hand in his face?" It wasn't until after the fight when Shamar said he had more skills and was following coaches orders that I became interested, actually. Maybe the guy has something going other than athleticism, but it seems like he should have been able to finish Brocks last pick, who admittedly wasn't a grappler...

My instructor trained with Paulsen, so I'll probably watch just to see how he coaches. Then again, they don't usually focus on the less famous coaching staff (for example, I really wanted to see more Phil Nurse and less of that dufus Rampage brought in previous seasons.)
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 12:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    I was flipping channels and caught this just before the fight. I didn't get to see the opening house drama or coaches picks - wish I had, and thanks for the overview.

I thought Shamar controlled the german guy pretty well, but his sub attempts were pretty weak and telegraphed. And who kept saying "put your hand in his face?" It wasn't until after the fight when Shamar said he had more skills and was following coaches orders that I became interested, actually. Maybe the guy has something going other than athleticism, but it seems like he should have been able to finish Brocks last pick, who admittedly wasn't a grappler...

My instructor trained with Paulsen, so I'll probably watch just to see how he coaches. Then again, they don't usually focus on the less famous coaching staff (for example, I really wanted to see more Phil Nurse and less of that dufus Rampage brought in previous seasons.)
    Yeah...I work right by Erik's spot...he is an AWESOME guy and stepped out of his pro MMA class to talk to me about his gym. He trains guys to have all around game so I'm sure the emphasis on striking was probably edited out as Erik is an amazing coach on ground game.

I was exactly like you about the fight...when he said he didn't want to give it all away and did what his coaches asked...I'm like wow...ok. Even if they didn't want to give anything away he had side control at will...he needs to be able to finish from there. I mean he mauled that guy on the ground. There was no house drama at all as they just showed them walking in and getting their rooms. It was mostly about the talent evaluation...but it was good to see what the two coaches philosophies were and their trainers. That came across really well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 3:01pm

Style: Judo, MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While watching the fight, i thought shamar could have had way more submission attmepts. The control was impressive but i was not too excited.

This season seems to be less intense compared to last season (coaches wise), but there seems to be way more man drama in the house. Not quite sure how i feel about that yet.

Also thought it was pretty cool how Brock brought each of the guys to the side and interviewed them to see what their motivations were.

:)

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to like the show, but I think having HW's coaching lighter guys, they just might fail to appreciate the dynamic at that weight. I know it's not all them coaching, but if they're running it....I want to be proven wrong.

I guess I resent Brock getting immediately set up for a #1 condender fight, after an embarrassing loss. Not just embarrassing, but one where he showed his lack of chin, and mental fortitude. He didn't look like a champ losing, vs. Cain. He looked like a challenger, who wasn't ready for the big time.

JDS is being a good sport about it, as it raises his profile, but there is def. Brock-ass smooching going on, in that he's even a coach on the show. It's purely for ratings.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well duh, of course its for ratings. its a fucking tv show. what else is it for?

boring ass fight. yawned my way through it apart from a slight lol when the eurofag guy fell on his keister.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    well duh, of course its for ratings. its a fucking tv show. what else is it for?
    I know why, but still don't like it. I don't have to, I'm not a TUF fan, I'm an mma fan. TUF is to mma, what American Idol is to professional music performance. The format, hurts the overarching goal.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    considering the quality level of fighters who come off the show who may otherwise not have been picked up, i disagree. its also a big cash cow, which in turn means the fighters get paid more from the trough (not as much as they are entitled too imo, but still it helps them)

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 5:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    considering the quality level of fighters who come off the show who may otherwise not have been picked up, i disagree. its also a big cash cow, which in turn means the fighters get paid more from the trough (not as much as they are entitled too imo, but still it helps them)
    do they get more from the trough? Zuffa owns most of the upper-level contracts now. What can they expect to get, moving forward?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 6:47pm

Style: Kickboxing/BJJ/Wimp

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    I know why, but still don't like it. I don't have to, I'm not a TUF fan, I'm an mma fan. TUF is to mma, what American Idol is to professional music performance. The format, hurts the overarching goal.
    I dunno - TUF is credited by many to have thrusted MMA (or at the very least, the UFC) into the lime light and saved its ass. I do agree that Brock really shouldn't be back as a potential #1 contender just yet - I would have loved to see him take on some lower ranked heavies first and see where he truly lies abilities wise. JDS is probably going to tear him apart anyway.

This season looks to be at least interesting. Two very different, but potentially successful coaching styles.

And now we get if fast tracked from the USA to Australia on GO!, and can watch it pretty much the same night. Kick ass.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast