Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 8:06pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swing in/out wall mount for heavy bag

Looking to maximize my space and upgrade a few things here soon and I saw some swing in/out wall mount bag hangers and on the serface that seems like a good thing. Now Iíve never used a swing in/out mount before and I was wondering is how well do these things hold up? Realize these things are going to get a lot of use and I want them to last a good long time. So does anyone have any experience with these kinds of bag hangers and how would you rate their reliability?

A sample of what Iím talking about is here:
    http://www.amazon.com/TKO-Heavy-Bag-.../dp/B0007ZF4V8

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 8:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just can't imagine them working that well. Even if you attached it to studs I just think the whole set up couldn't take a severe pounding. Where in the house are you planning to hang it, how high is the ceiling and what is the construction like? Also, what type of bag are you planning on getting? I just hung a 6' 100lb MT heavybag in the garage last year. My house is older (1920s) and the detatched garage wasn't built with the intention of puting a bag in. My friend came over and built a fully supported beam across the middle of my garage so I could hang it. It worked out real well.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I just can't imagine them working that well. Even if you attached it to studs I just think the whole set up couldn't take a severe pounding. Where in the house are you planning to hang it, how high is the ceiling and what is the construction like? Also, what type of bag are you planning on getting? I just hung a 6' 100lb MT heavybag in the garage last year. My house is older (1920s) and the detatched garage wasn't built with the intention of puting a bag in. My friend came over and built a fully supported beam across the middle of my garage so I could hang it. It worked out real well.
    Not in a house my m.a. school, going to be moving to slightly bigger place this year and want to make the most of the space. If were just working on sparring / grappling / throwing kind of stuff it would be nice to move the bags and get a little extra space. Going to have around 1000 sq. ft. and I just want to make the most of it. I know how to hang a heavy bag with no problem, but I saw this option and figured I would check it out and leave my possibilities open.

…and we will be hanging 100lb 6’ bag<s>.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 8:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see why you'd want to try it, I just don't think they look like they'd hold up. If you go for it post how it works out.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 9:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I can see why you'd want to try it, I just don't think they look like they'd hold up. If you go for it post how it works out.
    Yeah I'm not sure either. I'm not moving till later this year (Sept) so we shall see. Going to do my research and see where it takes me. Hopefully someone here has some actual experience with these things.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the answer is a home-engineering project?
    I know for a fact that my brother could whip something up suitable of sustaining years and years of punishment.

Are you handy yourself, or have you a friend in the fabrication or automotive industry?

Consider a heavy jack stand with an electronically powered hydraulic boom.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Perhaps the answer is a home-engineering project?
    I know for a fact that my brother could whip something up suitable of sustaining years and years of punishment.

Are you handy yourself, or have you a friend in the fabrication or automotive industry?

Consider a heavy jack stand with an electronically powered hydraulic boom.
    Let me know when you brother is in town and I will put him to work -lol

I'm handy but not in the skills it would take to build something like that, most the guys I know are wood-n-nails guys not heavy metal guys.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ehh, I'm Guessing that Wa is not WA (Western Australia) :) is that like Washington state or something?

As for some advice on how to engineer Macgyver-style, I'd start with something like this:

This particular gantry was built custom by it's owner, but a wide varitey of similar products are available commercially.
    Last edited by Colin; 3/30/2011 10:34pm at .

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Ehh, I'm Guessing that Wa is not WA (Western Australia) :) is that like Washington state or something?

As for some advice on how to engineer Macgyver-style, I'd start with something like this:

This particular gantry was built custom by it's owner, but a wide varitey of similar products are available commercially.
    Yup yup – Washington State, USA

Yeah, I’m familiar with that kind of set-up. I have ways of attaching the heavy bag if I need to that will be very sturdy and last for years. The current set-up I have up has been there for 12 years and survived many a heavy bag in that time. I’m just looking at the original idea as a possible space saver. Hanging a heavy bag is not the problem, the problem is: is that space saver idea going to last if I use it, that’s the question... or is their a better idea out their?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also suggest heading over to Sherdog to post in Wes's Title MMA gear thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/al...7/index32.html
    They sell a similar retractable heavy bag mount and he may have some good info for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast