Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 6:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know. My stand up coach is 3dan black belt and also an amateur world TKD champion and multiple state champion, plus Vice Kickboxing world champion, plus a very good boxer, and always praises that TKD made him the fighter that he is today. He said that he didnt need that much time to switch from TKD to boxing and kickboxing beacuse of his expreince. And when i sparr with his students I always have a hard time, so I have to say TKD is really legit. I am not from USA though so I cant talk how it is in your country. On a side note my country has a lot of crappy TKD dojos too. But I am too, kind of surprised that TKD gets so much criticisim on this site. I had a harder time sparring some TKD guys than some Kickboxers

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tae Kwon Do doesn’t suck, really. Since this thread already fell victim to necro, the door is open, and here I go with an opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daweedy View Post
    I have to say TKD is really legit. I am not from USA though so I cant talk how it is in your country. On a side note my country has a lot of crappy TKD dojos too. But I am too, kind of surprised that TKD gets so much criticisim on this site. I had a harder time sparring some TKD guys than some Kickboxers
    From my point of view, TKD is really legit too, and yes, there are a lot of crappy TKD dojang.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathblues View Post
    It's because of all those unqualified teachers who are in it for money. No martial art spirits.
    The following quote by Vorpal seems to explain why those teachers are unqualified and how they became motivated by money. I wholeheartedly believe this to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    In the US TKD instructors found that people didn't like getting hit, would pay $$ for undeserved promotions and could be fooled into thinking they were Bruce Lee while doing light touch sparring. Those students now teach TKD. That's why it sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I've sparred and met good TKDers. Large number were not American.
    My (Korean) Tae Kwon Do instructor told me that most Americans do not have the self-discipline required to train traditional TKD. He came to the US in 1970 or 1971 and almost immediately began teaching traditional TKD. By the time I began training with him in 1983, he had turned it down a notch or two.

I had a couple of years of American Kenpo under my belt at that time, and thought I knew something. Early on, he showed me that I didn’t know ****. In the six plus years I trained there, I noticed that he was turning down the intensity even more. In the private classes, he still trained old-school, but in group, the emphasis was on safety first & technique last. I can understand his not wanting any injuries and the lawsuits that followed, but that had never been a problem in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathblues View Post
    Curruption in WTF and bastardation of the techniques for "sports" also played a role there.
    This is where I usually stand on my soap-box and bitch about the WTF. The potential for internal politics and corruption in an organization that size were always there. It just manifested itself and continues to adulterate the system.
    I've sparred and met good TKDers. Large number were not American.
    This has been my experience as well; pretty easy to see why it happens like this. It used to bother me to see TKD in the middle of its decline, but I always knew why it happened. Old-school TKD does not suck, there are still a few practitioners out there, but they are few and far between.

3. Kuya Benja

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 7:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A long time ago, there was a girl I knew who was one of the highest ranking belts at her school. She got her ass beat my a big black girl. Never even got one hit in.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 7:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya Benja View Post
    A long time ago, there was a girl I knew who was one of the highest ranking belts at her school. She got her ass beat my a big black girl. Never even got one hit in.
    Was she lulled into a false sense of security? Did she have the heart for it? Did she not realize that in the real world, she won't have any padding and her opponent wouldn't be pulling techniques? Was she just caught off guard and taken by surprise?

I saw a female third dan Kenpo black belt get the **** beat out of her by a smaller, unskilled but determined gal with a roll of nickels in her hand. This is life.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 10:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya Benja View Post
    Yes, but have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 10:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****, she must of beat her ass cause she was black amirite? Big Black trumps TKD.
    GTFO.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****, she must of beat her ass cause she was black amirite? Big Black trumps TKD.
    GTFO.
    Wutang aint nuthin ta **** wit?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:40pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that they have Iron Fists no way.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wesley Snipes said it best in Passenger 57: "Always bet on black".

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but he crapped out. So, all bets were lost.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast