Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JCVD: Behind Closed Doors - anyone watching?

It's on ITV4 in the UK (Tuesdays at 9pm). I only realized that it had started a couple of days ago - dunno how many eps I've missed but I watched the one yesterday.

Van Damme comes across as a decent bloke (though I'm aware that he's going to be on his best behaviour here). Certainly has more of a sense of humour/fun than Seagal - whilst lacking much of the smugness and arrogance. Can you imagine Big Poppa going clubbing (unless it was seal clubbing - and SS got to demonstrate the technique he *personally* learned from Ueshiba's brother, or something) with his fans, for instance?

I've always had a lot of time for JCVD.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 10:34pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread and This thread go well together.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 3:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I played a trivia game once where one of the questions was which martial artist got KOed by his own bodyguard in a single punch? It was JCVD. The reports were inconclusive, but basically he was bragging to a bunch of a women about being a badass and poked fun at his bodyguard. The results are the answer to trivia. Heh.

He isn't a martial artist. He was a dancer who learned martial arts to make movies. On his first movie he didn't know any.

And how does it rate with that Segal ****? I love that Segal show, where they cut to those super powers he has on TV with the effects. And I love how bloated and winded he is, and how you know they cut out all the scenes where he is sucking air. Did you know Segal tried to hire a current CIA operator to kill a former CIA operator who outted him to the world as being a compulsive liar who never actually served in the CIA (an old story he used to tell). He also used to tell people he was a former SEAL. He also got extorted by the Italian mafia and had to wear a wire and help the police make a case against them. He's a notorious wife-beater. That dude becoming a cop = surreal. That dude getting his own TV show showcasing his super powers = great TV. How can JCVD rate with that?

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:06am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antiherozero View Post
    I played a trivia game once where one of the questions was which martial artist got KOed by his own bodyguard in a single punch? It was JCVD. The reports were inconclusive, but basically he was bragging to a bunch of a women about being a badass and poked fun at his bodyguard. The results are the answer to trivia. Heh.

He isn't a martial artist. He was a dancer who learned martial arts to make movies. On his first movie he didn't know any.

And how does it rate with that Segal ****? I love that Segal show, where they cut to those super powers he has on TV with the effects. And I love how bloated and winded he is, and how you know they cut out all the scenes where he is sucking air. Did you know Segal tried to hire a current CIA operator to kill a former CIA operator who outted him to the world as being a compulsive liar who never actually served in the CIA (an old story he used to tell). He also used to tell people he was a former SEAL. He also got extorted by the Italian mafia and had to wear a wire and help the police make a case against them. He's a notorious wife-beater. That dude becoming a cop = surreal. That dude getting his own TV show showcasing his super powers = great TV. How can JCVD rate with that?
    Your shoelace is untied

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 5:35am

Style: No-Gi BJJ/MMA/MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JCVD is 20-2-0 in kickboxing/karate all his wins by ko/tko and losses to the same guy by decision. He eventually won with the guy in their third fight. All of this was before his first movie.
    Last edited by keyoz; 3/31/2011 5:44am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 6:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh, so he is. Damn you Internet for so much bad information! I looked him up after the trivia game several years ago and I guess I found bad info. I actually watched a bit of his show and it was fascinating. He seems so crazy, like he always has, and hard as **** to understand still (he must have The Terminator's speech coach), but he's actually pretty likable in his TV show, when he's not having sex off camera with women who aren't his wife.

Now I know the **** I typed about Seagal was true, because it was so surreal when I was reading it that I verified it by finding local newspaper articles stating it (assuming they had good sources). Still, I prefer Seagals puffy baffoonery to it, but watching Van Damme rescue dogs with his bipolar compassion is entertaining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 7:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did take 6 years of ballet though, so he could probably dance too... ( my girlfriend is a ballet teacher, and she made me type that )

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 2:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Version I heard was that JCVD was drunk (or coked up, or whatever) and large-ing it up around town and mouthing off to his bodyguard all night. Bodyguard eventually lost his rag and sucker-punched the guy, laying him out.

The MA thing you brought up has already been addressed (why am I not getting notification emails for this thread?). Someone (may have been on here, maybe not) who knew someone who knew someone mentioned that Van Damme always kept up with his training and has also had 'experience' with Muay Thai and Savate in the intervening years.

It's always been my view that JCVD would have stomped Seagal back then - and would stomp Seagal now.

He's meant to be really hard to work with now, since his breakdown. If he doesn't want to do something, or can't be bothered, he just doesn't turn up.

And how does it rate with that Segal ****?
    Even when Seagal is on his best behaviour for TV, he appears to be a puffed-up old windbag.

When Seagal was shown with his dogs, he just *had* to come out with something along the lines of 'as a master of the martial arts, I have been training attack dogs for many years'. Urgh.
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 3/31/2011 2:34pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 3:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supposedly, the guy who knocked JCVD out in the bar was Chuck Zito, a Hells Angel. Who the **** knows?

What I know for sure is that he had a killer mullet in Hard Target.

Posted On:
    3/31/2011 4:29pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    It's on ITV4 in the UK (Tuesdays at 9pm). I only realized that it had started a couple of days ago - dunno how many eps I've missed but I watched the one yesterday.

Van Damme comes across as a decent bloke (though I'm aware that he's going to be on his best behaviour here). Certainly has more of a sense of humour/fun than Seagal - whilst lacking much of the smugness and arrogance. Can you imagine Big Poppa going clubbing (unless it was seal clubbing - and SS got to demonstrate the technique he *personally* learned from Ueshiba's brother, or something) with his fans, for instance?

I've always had a lot of time for JCVD.
    You know, I started to watch - I'd see the Ads so I thought, "Good oh" but...I got bored and turned over.

Have I been wrong?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast