Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 9:24am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're wearing quickwraps + 16 oz gloves and still getting abrasions on your knuckles?

Does not compute.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 9:36am

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've gotten into the habit of preemptively taping fingers when my knuckles are raw from prolonged exposure to judo jackets of the sandpaperish persuasion (it alleviates the "who the eff has been bleeding on my gi!?"-situations). I don't have much experience with this from a striking perspective though, but perhaps a bit of extra sports tape before you put gloves and whatnot on would help?

Regards,
    Lars

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sheet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suspect also that the "newness" of the glove and the easy wraps are to blame.

Glove - Brand new, used it 4 days in a row doing heavy boxing (bearing in mind I'm new so weak hands, poor technique). Maybe I need to "break it in" so to speak. It's a good glove but it feels a bit "unworn" or stiff.

Handwraps - it's a half size too big, the cut is on both hands, it's on the pinky and it's on the middle joint of the finger, precisely where the finger cut offs of the gloves are. I'm not sure if maybe the texture of the cutoff is too harsh.

Moving forward, I'm going to exercise caution, pay more attention to the condition of my hands, use correct technique and moisturise my hands.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 9:09am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AHA! You are probably banging at the heavy bag and torquing your wrist sideways. The poorly fitting wraps are sliding around and chafing your hands. Put a bandaid over the spot, or just a piece of surgical tape. A roll is pretty cheap.

Learning to punch properly will help too.

lol moisturize. Make sure you get a nice fragrance, like Lavender or Honeysuckle.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 12:58pm

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep tao.Jonz has nailed it brother.
    When I read your post all I could think of is bad technique.Your pinkie shouldn't even be in the equation.
    You must be torqueing ( twisting ) your wrist too much right on ( not before ) contact.
    It's all good though,it's not an uncommon thing.Just slow it down a bit when you work the pads,& concentrate on your technique instead of the power.
    It may mean telling the pad holder to slow things down a little,as they are generally the ones setting the pace,& asking your training partner/pad holder to work certain techniques & combinations will get you up to speed in no time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 1:03pm

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, & it's not the gloves.
    I use quick wraps myself ( 'cause I'm lazy ).
    They are cheap as chips,so try a smaller pair,it may help,but I think the problem is with your technique.

Posted On:
    4/05/2011 1:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know some boxers with hand issues they put a thin peice of foam padding under their raps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12