Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 1:36pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight Lifting for Judo

It's good to be back.

On my off days for judo, I've been doing Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it:

A:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench/Standing Press 3x5
    Chin-ups 3x15

B:
    Squats 3x5
    Standing/Bench Press 3x5
    Pull-ups 3x15

C:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench/Standing Press 3x5
    Deadlifts 1x5

My numbers:
    Squats: 240
    Bench: 150 (lol)
    Press: 110
    Chin-ups, Pull-ups: 10 lb add-on
    Deadlifts: 225
    Height: 5'6" (I like to think a half, too)
    Weight: 146.2

I'm quickly topping out on squats and bench (failure is now more common that complete sets), and my press and deadlifts are definitely giving me difficultyc I know people my weight can do more on both, but...

The reason I post this here and not in the training forums is because I want to hear the judokas' take on it. I'm a yonkyu with morote seoi nage and sode as my tokui waza (granted, I haven't even formally learned tai otoshi, harai goshi, or uchi mata yet...), and I want to know how I can improve my judo while off the mat.

The input I've gotten so far is that I focus too much on raw strength and not enough on explosive power; I definitely do wish that my university's gym wasn't so stick-in-ass and wouldn't stop us from power cleaning. But, if you know any reasonable programs that would help me/have any good advice, I would appreciate it.

P.S. I have the feeling that this might be floating around somewhere, but plugging in "lifting" and "judo" into the search bar was predictably unhelpful.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 4:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much judo do you do? How long have you been doing Judo? Yonkyu and sode tsurikomi goshi is one of your favorites? Wow!

I see you don't like ashi waza.

As to your weight training program, increasing basic strength and fitness is important, and having enough recovery between lifting and Judo is even more important. Make sure not to overtrain. You Judo skill will take you a lot further than lifting weights in the long run, although I'm not knocking lifting, I did a lot when I competed when I was much younger.

Ben

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 1:02pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do Sode TKG to the opposite side of your morote seoi nage, I suppose? You should pick up ko uchi. They flow well together.

Strength and power are related, but I understand your point. Oly lifts arent the only way to develop power. Some coaches don't like them, actually, because of their high skill level. Check out Joe DeFranco's website.

If you can't clean, etc., then do lower percentages (maybe 50-65% of max) fast. It's not exactly what you want, but look up the conjugated periodization scheme that powerlifters use (e.g. "Westside"). You get a similar benefit, and you see some of the exercises they do fast (e.g. speed deadlifts). Skip speed bench if you like your shoulders.

You can also do very low percentage weights ballistically -- throws -- such as bench throws in a Smith machine.

And, can the really tell the difference between a overhead press and push jerk?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 1:20pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Ben
    This is my fourth semester. Our instructor has a heavy competition focus (or rather, I've become his competition child); what else can you expect from a former Olympian? As such, the time I would have otherwise spent into learning a wider variety of throws was spent into making the few throws I do know competition-optimal. Was it a good idea? Hell if I know, I'm a yonkyu. Also, my legs are really strong, lending themselves to seoi nage etc, but they've always been pretty fat and not particularly flexible, so besides half hearted attempts at setting up combinations, my ashi waza isn't particularly good. Do you have any advice on flexibility in particular, and anything that will improve my ashi waza in general?

As Res predicted, sode is my left side throw to balance my right side morote. I use a bastardized version that is basically just a morote with a funky grip; I really should get around to doing it properly. I would like to see the combination(s) that can be done with kouchi, I have an ouchi combination with it that isn't particularly reliable.

@Res
    Congujation p-p-predia-I'll look it up, thanks.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 1:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another point-when you're lifting, lift as fast as possible. It's intent more than speed that really matters (it's neurological trick for motor unit recruitment).

Here's a very famous seoi to ko uchi by the greatest living Judoka...

Here's Jane Bridge going the other way (she's awesome)

You can also do ko uchi makikomi (Koga-like), but I can't find a good video of the combination.

They're classics because you have uke thinking one direction and you going the other.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 2:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    And, can the really tell the difference between a overhead press and push jerk?
    Mil press

Power/push jerk

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 2:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second one is more push press than push jerk, but the lines can be blurry. But, anyway, if they won't let him clean at least he can do the push press/push jerk. I doubt they'll know the difference or stop him.

Also, do they allow dumbbell cleans and snatches? The one armed dumbbell snatch is an awesome exercise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 6:16pm

Style: Okinawan Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that really isn't the template for SS, there are A and B, no C. and just alternating A and B workouts one week to the next.

One thing Rip would tell you is YNDTP if combing judo with SS. I would probably suggest looking at the 70's Big strength and conditioning template, using judo for your conditioning. Gains strength wise won't be as fast but your goals are to get better at judo via a higher base strength and not maximizing your strength at the expense of everything else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought I pose this question here.. I realize that someone who is smaller can utilize leverage and skill to excel in Judo, but does Judo favor someone with a muscular/larger build?

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 9:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Second one is more push press than push jerk, but the lines can be blurry.
    I should have watched the whole vid before posting. 132.5 was failures not jerks. But before that was definitely jerks if far too slow. He got the bar to arms length before is body stopped moving down.

But that's just adding to the thread drift.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast