Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^Ignoring the troll above Omega^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by nysanda View Post
    Shuai Jiao is China's "Judo" and as most grappling styles, has always tended to be more grounded in reality. Certainly Chang Tung Sheng taught a practical style, I've seen some mainland stuff that is equally hands on (literally) and practical...

As much as I hate to say it, beware those who say "san da", it has become the "add on" after a long list of traditional Chinese kung fu clap trap...
    Correct.

Also, make sure you understand that "grappling" in this context means grabs, throws, wrist control and sweeps. Unless modified there is no CMA that includes "grappling" that is like BJJ, wrestling, or Sambo. Adding this because, people will bicker about the semantics of grappling.

I was one of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 5:40pm

Style: sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Also, make sure you understand that "grappling" in this context means grabs, throws, wrist control and sweeps. Unless modified there is no CMA that includes "grappling" that is like BJJ, wrestling, or Sambo.
    Shuai Jiao has NO ground GRAPPLING as in ne waza in Judo. It is stand up based, and since at least they had sparring and "sport" they tested the throws "live" so to speak. Like I said, one of the more practical of the chinese martial arts

(just being clear)

:)

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I like tiger style for the intense workout. Agree there are some gruesome d34dly techniques in that style that I am pretty sure are effective, like striking locked arms and elbows, but I would never dare use except in the most extreme life and death circumstances (certainly not a random brawl). Self defense may not be a good claim when the "assailant"'s limb is snapped and hanging limply.
    The patterns I trained were all knuckles to the eyes, throat, or kick to the groin, and a lot of raking the face. I got very very fast with it, and it did help my cardio, stamina, and I lost lbs quickly via sweat. I was trading for guitar lessons (free), and due to my manic retard grip (20+ years of guitar, and drawing/painting) I thought it would be good.

I, like many nice people, who have been bullied, wanted to be able to be d3adly, but subdue someone without hurting them. I later realized, that it involves knowing clinch/positional control, and immobilizing someone sans fatality skillz, not being so d3adly, and then holding back.

Incidentally, the guitarist who took me to the SanDa school was a former chunner. Forearms like iron...but he spent years trying to be less stiff, possibly a bad habit from teh chun (chun in practice, not theory).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 11:32pm

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During the 30's and 40's, the single most effective and popular style among gangsters and assassins inside of China was the .38 Pistol.

Just sayin.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 3:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nysanda View Post
    Shuai Jiao has NO ground GRAPPLING as in ne waza in Judo. It is stand up based, and since at least they had sparring and "sport" they tested the throws "live" so to speak. Like I said, one of the more practical of the chinese martial arts

(just being clear)
    That post was directed at lurkers and the OP not you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 9:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabu View Post
    During the 30's and 40's, the single most effective and popular style among gangsters and assassins inside of China was the .38 Pistol.

Just sayin.
    In war and crime, there is no question that guns are the first choice. But, especially in "crime" there is always a need also for close quarters, particularly blades . The Green Gang in Shanghai, in addition to having plenty of pistols, also did have a relationship with a particular kung fu school.

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 10:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Frankly so did the Boxer Society, the Eight Trigram Sect, as well as the While Lotus Sect. All still got taken down by a carefully placed shot.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Frankly so did the Boxer Society, the Eight Trigram Sect, as well as the While Lotus Sect. All still got taken down by a carefully placed shot.
    Sort of irrelevant to what I was saying, ie that Chinese martial arts WERE used (successfully or not) for close combat. Whether they were effective or not, and why they weren't is a seperate discussion. IMHO of course

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on! If firearms worked, we'd see them used in the UFC all the time!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS: Japanese Jiu Jitsu became Judo precisely because the gun changed the way battles played out...... (that's of course an abbreviated answer)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12