Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KUNG fu style question

its actually a few questions 1 is their a more dominant style of kung fu (most popular or most effective). also is their a kung fu style that focuses on grappling and last i notice alot of kung fu seems very built towards acrobatitcs and flexibility was wondering if their is a kung fu better for big guys thanx!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No to pretty much all of your questions. Modern Wushu is more acrobatic and is basically stylized Gymnastics. It is not "kung fu" in the sense you are looking for or asking about. There are more recognized styles like Tai Chi, Wing Chun, and the abused term Shaolin.

Effectiveness depends on entirely how it is taught. Unlike Muay Thai, Boxing, BJJ, Judo and other arts you have to mainly make sure they compete and teach Sanda, Sanshou, or compete in Lei Tai events. Sanda and Sanshou are rule-sets that can be in certain styles, but are also being modified into their own styles as of late.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/29/2011 4:19pm at .

:)

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^I concur.

If I had a "style" beyond fail, it would be Sanda. It's what I trained, and in the little str33t situations, I've added grabbing clothes (I very good at that) which melded nicely with the things I'd been taught. I've used that aspect (clich/control) more than any striking in defending myself for the same reason traditional kung fu is impractical in much of the developed world....getting arrested sucks.

The tiger kung fu I learned, I could never use, in any but the most bizarre situations, because it all relied on doing things, that most normal people don't have the stomach to do.
    Anything from that style that I could use, would be better performed using the sport techniques from san da. Proven power over trusting the word of a teacher who doesn't even spar. I got in better shape from tma, that's all (still a good thing).

The kung fu, that you can use in the modern setting, avoiding jail for disfiguring someone, can most likely be found in San Da.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 3:07pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just commenting in order to subscribe to thread but what I was going to say has already been said.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    The tiger kung fu I learned, I could never use, in any but the most bizarre situations, because it all relied on doing things, that most normal people don't have the stomach to do....I got in better shape from tma, that's all (still a good thing).
    I like tiger style for the intense workout. Agree there are some gruesome d34dly techniques in that style that I am pretty sure are effective, like striking locked arms and elbows, but I would never dare use except in the most extreme life and death circumstances (certainly not a random brawl). Self defense may not be a good claim when the "assailant"'s limb is snapped and hanging limply.

Whatever CMA you study, you either do san da-type sparring/fighting at the school, or you're probably Shaolin LARPING.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/29/2011 4:12pm at . Reason: Not that there's anything wrong with that..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 6:41pm

Style: sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuai Jiao is China's "Judo" and as most grappling styles, has always tended to be more grounded in reality. Certainly Chang Tung Sheng taught a practical style, I've seen some mainland stuff that is equally hands on (literally) and practical...

As much as I hate to say it, beware those who say "san da", it has become the "add on" after a long list of traditional Chinese kung fu clap trap...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My brother trained at a couple of mantis schools. They both were taught in a hard style. Everyone in there had forearms made of steel. There was also no sign of any flowering type of movements. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 7:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained Shaolin KF in Paterson back in the early 80s. The school was very "traditional" in the sense that new students primarily did stance work (horse stance or some other stance for long periods of time, usually with the instructors kicking your legs or standing on you), forms, and body conditioning. I didn't stay with it long enough to find out if you ever really learn how to fight (not with a deadly ass TSD school walking distance from my house) but the instructors truly had hands and forearms that were hard as goddamn Hell. Take most of the "KF vs ___" videos with a grain of salt, there are some tough bastards out there somewhere. I'd still like to take some Mantis KF just for fun if I could find it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:13pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wing chun is effective, and can be taught to people of anybody type. its an idea.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2011 3:24pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouch View Post
    wing chun is effective, and can be taught to people of anybody type. its an idea.
    And you're an idiot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast