Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 10:56pm

Style: Limalama

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Interesting first class.

I just got back from a trial class from a modern arnis school and was a bit disappointed.

The only reason I am writing this is that it started out looking promising, but hit red flag city pretty early on, I was wondering if any of the fma bullies out there could let me know if I should just deal with the craziness until the instructor decides we are ready to start pounding each other with sticks, or just back away slowly.

I get there, sign the form and we stand in a circle. He talks for about 20 minutes about arnis and explains some history which is a bit boring but expected on a first day. After this we start a sinwali (sp) drill and work up to faster and more complicated striking and footwork....for about 20 minutes...

After that we put down the sticks and do what I can only describe as aikido. The rest of the two hour class was devoted to him talking and us working escapes and wrist locks from wrist grabs. He even asked me if I was "immune" to a pressure point/aikido wrist lock he tried to work on me. Needless to say since I was expecting to end the class exhausted and paranoid of flying sticks this is not what I expected the class to be like. I at least expected to leave with a welt or two.

So bullies, is it normal for an intense fma class to do this kind of stuff at first and then get into the more hardcore fighting or should I just keep looking?

Posted On:
    2/23/2011 11:48pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap I just spent 20 mins writing a well thought out reply. I've got to get up at 5 for BJJ before work so i'm not retyping it again. Here's the gist-
    Expect to drill in FMA. IF you're getting bruised and welted up on the first class something may be wrong, you may want to find another club. A skilled FMAist should be able to overcome an unskilled buy without brute force.
    Aikido wrist locks? Maybe they were trying to enforce controlling the weapon. Some FMA guys practice stuff they would do with a weapon empty handed. Some FMA purists think what they do with a weapon will work in any situation even empty hand. It's kind of a backwards way of thinking, my best guess is they're trying to adapt what they know to other situations.
    Pressure points suck especially when a guy has a weapon and you're relying on his pain tolerance to keep all your limbs in one piece.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you make your intentions clear to the instructor, including being clear about your interests and your martial arts background.

I don't know FMA, but it sounds like a perfectly appropriate class for beginners. People that get hurt or scared shitless on the first day don't tend to come back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 12:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Crap I just spent 20 mins writing a well thought out reply. I've got to get up at 5 for BJJ before work so i'm not retyping it again. Here's the gist-
    Expect to drill in FMA. IF you're getting bruised and welted up on the first class something may be wrong, you may want to find another club. A skilled FMAist should be able to overcome an unskilled buy without brute force.
    I don't mind drills, in fact the drills with the sticks was the only part I really enjoyed. I just didn't like the other 80% of the class.
    Aikido wrist locks? Maybe they were trying to enforce controlling the weapon. Some FMA guys practice stuff they would do with a weapon empty handed. Some FMA purists think what they do with a weapon will work in any situation even empty hand. It's kind of a backwards way of thinking, my best guess is they're trying to adapt what they know to other situations.
    That makes sense, and to the guro's credit he knew how to apply them correctly I just didn't expect to spend a large portion of class on wrist-grab defences.
    Pressure points suck especially when a guy has a weapon and you're relying on his pain tolerance to keep all your limbs in one piece.
    This is probably the biggest thing that bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Did you make your intentions clear to the instructor, including being clear about your interests and your martial arts background.

I don't know FMA, but it sounds like a perfectly appropriate class for beginners. People that get hurt or scared shitless on the first day don't tend to come back.
    This makes sense as well as I just walked in and asked to try a class without much of an explanation as to what my background or expectations were.

Thanks for your imput guys you've given me a lot to think about.
    Last edited by donoraen; 2/24/2011 12:25am at .

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 3:40am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    That makes sense, and to the guro's credit he knew how to apply them correctly I just didn't expect to spend a large portion of class on wrist-grab defences.
    FWIW, a context in which you have a weapon is one where it actually makes a lot of sense for an opponent to grab your wrist and not let go, and one where freeing it up is a high priority.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 9:42am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the Modern Arnis guys are big on wrist locks, and flowing series of wrist locks. I don't know if that's something that predates Remy Presas's association with Wally Jay (of Small-Circle Jujitsu) or not. My guro had to do something like 10 minutes of flowing wrist locks at his black belt test, if memory serves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He did mention something about small circle jujitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2011 11:46pm

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cross-trained in my university's Escrima Club for a semester last year, but their program was more like 50% stick/knife drills, 10% Aikido or Jujitsu-ish wrist locks, and 40% sparring. I don't think seeing Aikido or Jujitsu-ish wrist locks in the Modern Arnis class a problem, but you may wanna seriously reconsider switching to other school if they keep up that ridiculous 80% proportion dedicated to Aikido.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My beginning experience was like this- first, we went over some formalities and history of the arts he teaches. Then, a bit of work with the 2 stances we use (estoca and parada) and how to step with triangular footwork, which would be used throughout class. Then, working the basic 6 strikes against a target, then with partners, working the basic 6 and the defenses to them (blocking and checking with the live hand). There's a series of 3 counters for each defense, and we worked our way up to 3 counters by adding them one at a time (some of them have teh d34dly, like a backhand thumb strike to the eye or a hammerfist to the groin). The same is true for the full 12 angles, but 7-12 weren't introduced for at least several weeks. We were also introduced to the same drill, but with the defender empty handed (very similar), and then with both people empty handed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2011 1:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also....on his list of what seminars he has been to, among a list of a lot of fma ones he has a george dillman seminar : / I think i am going to try the arnis club at my school, ironically he is actually an assistant instructor there as well, but the main instructor at least has bjj as one of his styles so I am hoping the bs will be to a minimum. (partly because I have been entranced by fma ever since a pambuan arnis seminar I went to once and partly because the class schedule works way better than the judo I have been doing recently.)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast