Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 4:37pm

Style: BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Attack while in half guard, or pass?

Hey guys, I was wondering what submissions are available while stuck in half guard. I sometimes get stuck here and start to turk ride (figure four my legs around the leg that keeps me in hg) and usually go for an americana, because that seems to be the only sub for the guy on top there.

Thanks.

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 5:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kneebar.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry forgot to mention I'm a whitebelt so leglocks get peoples panties in a bunch but you're right a kneebar is there. TYVM

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 6:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention I'm a whitebelt so leglocks get peoples panties in a bunch but you're right a kneebar is there. TYVM
    In that case, you should be working on passing your partner's half guard, rather than trying to submit someone from there. Half guard subs are not white belt material.

Beginners should focus on the fundamentals only if they want to be fully competent grapplers in three to four years time.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    In that case, you should be working on passing your partner's half guard, rather than trying to submit someone from there. Half guard subs are not white belt material.

Beginners should focus on the fundamentals only if they want to be fully competent grapplers in three to four years time.
    Okay, awesome TY. I wasn't looking for shiny/fancy techniques, btw. I'll look up some passes then.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OOOHHH an easy pass

Thanks guys!

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassOverdrive

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

Not a BJJ guy and even amongst Judoka I don't consider myself much of a newaza man, but shouldn't you aim to control and lock down the upper body i.e both of uke's shoulders on the mat and then look to either free your leg or hunt the sub.

If I get my right leg caught I usually work to a position where I have uke's right arm caught in the ude garami grip and from there I always get the tap from the Juji gatame.

If I get my my left leg caught I work to control the upper body and pin the shoulders and then get my leg free and work from tate shiho gatame/ mount.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 7:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Not a BJJ guy and even amongst Judoka I don't consider myself much of a newaza man, but shouldn't you aim to control and lock down the upper body i.e both of uke's shoulders on the mat and then look to either free your leg or hunt the sub.

If I get my right leg caught I usually work to a position where I have uke's right arm caught in the ude garami grip and from there I always get the tap from the Juji gatame.

If I get my my left leg caught I work to control the upper body and pin the shoulders and then get my leg free and work from tate shiho gatame/ mount.

Is there a vid of something similar? In the past I have always gone for an americana/ude garami, but I didn't understand what you meant about the juji-gatame/armbar

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassOverdrive

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 7:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    Is there a vid of something similar? In the past I have always gone for an americana/ude garami, but I didn't understand what you meant about the juji-gatame/armbar
    Like this

Except I don't let them catch the leg and only do it when they've caught it because I've fucked up and I use the ude garami grip to secure their arm

From there its just a matter of bringing the free knee up to the back of uke's head to tighten the move up and lock it down.

Then I do a double stab step over the head and use one of the basic grip breaks to finish.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/07/2011 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh interesting. I learned this armbar a little while ago ( from turtle guard). I'm going to work on the tripod pass about 90% of the time, and use this armbar the other 10
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast