Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 6:40am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say judging on what you picked for your username, you had your heart set on studying shaolin kung fu. There is nothing wrong with this, as long as you have a realistic expectation of what you are getting. If your headed to Ft. Carson, I would probably think that there would be at least a few MA hobbyists that get together and train, and one of them might actually be a decent instructor, depending on what you're looking for.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 9:45am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just trolling here.

This is kind of like asking if Chinese restaurants are good. There are examples of great Chinese restaurants and terrible ones. There are restaurants that serve Chinese food targeted at the American customer, and others targeted at Chinese customers. There's cheap Chinese food, expensive Chinese food, Pan-Asian cuisine, Chinese food from different regions of China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc, all of which can be very different from the others. It's too much of a generalization to just talk about "Chinese food," and the same goes for Kung Fu.

It pretty much depends on the customer (you), and what you are looking for. Why are you hung up on learning a Chinese martial art? Not that there aren't any good ones, but it seems silly to limit yourself to just one type of martial art when in some areas it's hard enough to find any good school, even without setting arbitrary limitations like that.

Do you want this martial art to prepare you to be able to handle yourself in a real fight? Or do you just want to practice something for fun?
    Never got back to this last night. It looks like everybody is giving you good advice. I looked at all the schools in that area that were listed on the internet and it didn't look very hopeful.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 10:10am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay away from Black Lotus and the Chinese Shaolin Centers IMO.

Read this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97243

Also, as noted above you are going to end up with modern and modified Shaolin Kung Fu. If the history is to be believed, which there is enough research that it is on shaky ground, most Shaolin was absorbed and became family styles based on Shaolin. So, personally, I now tend to avoid any school that PUSHES *keyword* Shaolin history.

Any angry CMAers pay attention to the word "PUSHES."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 3:35pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, for a good laugh check out the book titled "American Shaolin" by Matt Polly. He traveled to the Shaolin Temple in China to train Kung Fu and ended up doing Sanda. It's a great read, and very funny.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 4:23am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Stay away from Black Lotus and the Chinese Shaolin Centers IMO.

Read this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97243

Also, as noted above you are going to end up with modern and modified Shaolin Kung Fu. If the history is to be believed, which there is enough research that it is on shaky ground, most Shaolin was absorbed and became family styles based on Shaolin. So, personally, I now tend to avoid any school that PUSHES *keyword* Shaolin history.

Any angry CMAers pay attention to the word "PUSHES."
    ^^^ This. Generally, true Shaolin kung fu doesn't exist any longer, at least under the name Shaolin. Even at the Shaolin temple, it's essentially become a tourist attraction. This itself is not a bad thing (we could get into the Cultural Revolution, but that's a different topic), it's simply evolution. As IIF stated, a lot of what was originally Shaolin KF got absorbed into family styles. That said, many KF styles such as Hung Gar still contain a lot of the things that are often associated with Shaolin. It's just the name and association that's been lost.

The term "Shaolin Kung Fu" really got popularized by kung fu movies and the like. Even at its height, Shaolin was not the be-all-and-end-all of kung fu. It's just a name that got capitalized on for marketing purposes.

The best advice will always be: Do your research, check it out with your own eyes, find what YOU want and go for it.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 8:09am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinMedic View Post
    I would like to learn better self defense, get a good work out and learn a martial art that is rich in history.
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the CMA forum mods, might I suggest boxing if you can't find a good Kung Fu school?

It has a hell of a lot of history, it's a good stand up fighting system and a great workout. An added benefit would be that if you get transferred to a new city by the army, it shouldn't be too hard to find a new gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 11:44pm

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of the CMA forum mods, might I suggest boxing if you can't find a good Kung Fu school?

It has a hell of a lot of history, it's a good stand up fighting system and a great workout. An added benefit would be that if you get transferred to a new city by the army, it shouldn't be too hard to find a new gym.
    This is good advice. Many of the posts above offer good advice. Please note: this from a 'Shaolin' practitioner of many years. Make that list of goals and measure your practice against that list, being without fear in modifying your list or changing your practice and be well served.

Sure, 'Shaolin' could be your perfect fit.

Now go do some damn push ups.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 7:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabu View Post
    This is good advice. Many of the posts above offer good advice. Please note: this from a 'Shaolin' practitioner of many years. Make that list of goals and measure your practice against that list, being without fear in modifying your list or changing your practice and be well served.

Sure, 'Shaolin' could be your perfect fit.

Now go do some damn push ups.
    I prefer the Shaolin equivalent to pushups: go do ma bu.

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 8:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anybody bring up Wong Kiew Kit and Shaolin Wanham yet?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 6:56pm

Style: Kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also suggest you keep that list of goals and check back against it every so often to see if what you are studying matches the list. It may not, and that might be okay as your goals and desired for training may have evolved. Or you might find that it isn't matching any longer and you have been sidetracked unintentionally. Schools that have agendas tend to change their message over time, and the more a student gets involved.

Never be afraid look at things objectively and to walk away if it isn't a good fit any longer.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123