Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/27/2011 11:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha ya being a newb sucks! Im thinking traditional kung fu would be fine. I would like to learn better self defense, get a good work out and learn a martial art that is rich in history. Im in pretty good shape. Been in the Army for 6 years now and work out daily.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/27/2011 11:29pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just looked up your IP? It seems like you don't have much choice. Really sucks to be you. Anything more you could give us?

Posted On:
    3/27/2011 11:40pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I just looked up your IP? It seems like you don't have much choice. Really sucks to be you. Anything more you could give us?
    Ya I am in Yuma, AZ now but I am moving to Colorado Springs next month. So is Kung Fu an effective MA or no?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 1:06am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinMedic View Post
    Ya I am in Yuma, AZ now but I am moving to Colorado Springs next month. So is Kung Fu an effective MA or no?
    I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just trolling here.

This is kind of like asking if Chinese restaurants are good. There are examples of great Chinese restaurants and terrible ones. There are restaurants that serve Chinese food targeted at the American customer, and others targeted at Chinese customers. There's cheap Chinese food, expensive Chinese food, Pan-Asian cuisine, Chinese food from different regions of China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc, all of which can be very different from the others. It's too much of a generalization to just talk about "Chinese food," and the same goes for Kung Fu.

It pretty much depends on the customer (you), and what you are looking for. Why are you hung up on learning a Chinese martial art? Not that there aren't any good ones, but it seems silly to limit yourself to just one type of martial art when in some areas it's hard enough to find any good school, even without setting arbitrary limitations like that.

Do you want this martial art to prepare you to be able to handle yourself in a real fight? Or do you just want to practice something for fun?

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 1:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just trolling here.

This is kind of like asking if Chinese restaurants are good. There are examples of great Chinese restaurants and terrible ones. There are restaurants that serve Chinese food targeted at the American customer, and others targeted at Chinese customers. There's cheap Chinese food, expensive Chinese food, Pan-Asian cuisine, Chinese food from different regions of China, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc, all of which can be very different from the others. It's too much of a generalization to just talk about "Chinese food," and the same goes for Kung Fu.

It pretty much depends on the customer (you), and what you are looking for. Why are you hung up on learning a Chinese martial art? Not that there aren't any good ones, but it seems silly to limit yourself to just one type of martial art when in some areas it's hard enough to find any good school, even without setting arbitrary limitations like that.

Do you want this martial art to prepare you to be able to handle yourself in a real fight? Or do you just want to practice something for fun?

Nope definantly not a troll. I think im more attracted to the tradition of Kung Fu. I did TKD as a kid and im def not interested in doing that again. I get ground training in the army and some stand up. Im really just looking for a MA that has a lot of history, Is effective in a real life stand up fight ( Yes I know most fights go to the ground) and isnt completely BS. Reading through the Forums and I think Hung Gar Kung Fu might be worth checking out.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 1:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope definantly not a troll. I think im more attracted to the tradition of Kung Fu. I did TKD as a kid and im def not interested in doing that again. I get ground training in the army and some stand up. Im really just looking for a MA that has a lot of history, Is effective in a real life stand up fight ( Yes I know most fights go to the ground) and isnt completely BS. Reading through the Forums and I think Hung Gar Kung Fu might be worth checking out.
    Hung gar is good gong fu, with the right instructor.

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 1:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Hung gar is good gong fu, with the right instructor.
    Anyone know of any good instructors in the Denver/ Colorado Springs area?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 2:17am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might look for San Shou (aka Sanda) schools in that area. I'm not familiar with Colorado Springs, so I can't recommend anything. As with any school, check it out first and see if they spar, have an instructor that has a good competition record, and have students that compete.

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 2:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    You might look for San Shou (aka Sanda) schools in that area. I'm not familiar with Colorado Springs, so I can't recommend anything. As with any school, check it out first and see if they spar, have an instructor that has a good competition record, and have students that compete.

Right on. Thanks for the help

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 2:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally speaking, Kung Fu styles are going to be pretty stylized, very physical (but there are definintely some styles that aren't as physically strenuous), and admittedly, a lot of fun. Many of the styles are less effective in pure combat, but many have some good combat applications. Also considering some h2h combat training you mention receiving from the army, it sounds like pure combat is not the only thing you're looking for in a style.

Based on what you've laid out so far, I for one would say go for it, study some Kung Fu. Especially if you think it'll be fun for you. That being said, make sure you check out the place you want to train in depth before you begin training. One of the downfalls of TMA (traditional martial arts) training these days is that there are a lot of schools that teach like crap, even if the base style has some merit. If you find a school that appeals to you, go for it.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast