Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:04am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    Great videos, I just tested for purple on Saturday (in Ke?po) and we do bare knuckle sparring as well. One of the things I've learned is that if my hands are open I have the tendency to jam/injure fingers WAY too easily. A closed fist is how I'm taught to avoid that for the time being.

I have a question, those round kicks to the head in the first video, I know you avoided them but had you not would those have been allowed to connect at your rank?
    Any formal karate I did was on Okinawa in the early 1960's but then began to practice kenpo (kajukenbo) later on. At first I would also jam my fingers but after awhile learned to control that. We did a lot of grabbing, throwing like of stuff as well so it was just easier to hold our hands lose.

WhenI practiced on Okinawa we would not think ofdoing karate contests. At the time it did not occur to me that karate hadshiai, or contest kumite because all the time in the dojo we never trained forit. What sparring we did was for learning practice and not any thought ofcontest karate. It seems like sometime after I left there in 1962 thingschanged; like dojos became more commercialized, contest karate and so on. Notsure when that happened, but it was sort of taboo when I lived there.

Anyway, when visiting Japan I did see some contest karate, but that was a long time ago and memory is foggy with the details.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:26am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    Great videos, I just tested for purple on Saturday (in Ke?po) and we do bare knuckle sparring as well. One of the things I've learned is that if my hands are open I have the tendency to jam/injure fingers WAY too easily. A closed fist is how I'm taught to avoid that for the time being.

I have a question, those round kicks to the head in the first video, I know you avoided them but had you not would those have been allowed to connect at your rank?
    Oh, absolutely he would have landed those on my head had I not avoided one, and blocked the other. I've taken kicks to the head already. However, I do not think that he was putting everything he had one them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:47am

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main thing is keeping the fingers together in such a way that when they get hit, you won't bruise them. Forming a fist generates the best support and least chance of injury, open hands are an option too, but less favourable (although it can be done). With the latter, the trade off is that it is much easier to grab your opponent. People targeting a fist and telling that you 'lost your arm' are full of it in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 12:08pm

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Oh, absolutely he would have landed those on my head had I not avoided one, and blocked the other. I've taken kicks to the head already. However, I do not think that he was putting everything he had one them.
    That is something that has been missing from my training up to this point. I'm excited at this rank to begin striking to the head during sparring.

Again, well done for passing and keep the videos coming!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 11:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to work on your fundamental techniques more, such as your front kick, round kick, punches, elbows, and combos thereof. Your punches need to extend more or be chambered better for more power, because they ain't doing dittly squat right now.

You need to work on your blocking, you wouldn't have eaten that front kick if you had a good down block or catch.

I think you have a bit of timidity still due to fear of getting hurt. You need to do more conditioning to take impact.

Good combos to work on include front extending punch followed by front kick followed by straight to a different area then liver punch.

Another good one is a kick to the leg followed by two power punches then a front kick or sweep.

You have to mix up your combos more, and keep doing the rest of the combo even if one misses. The key is putting pressure on the other guy to make him experience self doubt and fear, beware though they push back.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 12:35am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were all of your sparring partners black belts? Looks like you did a pretty good job of engaging considering the rank difference. The big difference between you and your opponents that I noticed was that they controlled the distance much better. This will come with experience, obviously. Still say, though, impressive for a white belt.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:12am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Were all of your sparring partners black belts? Looks like you did a pretty good job of engaging considering the rank difference. The big difference between you and your opponents that I noticed was that they controlled the distance much better. This will come with experience, obviously. Still say, though, impressive for a white belt.
    First two opponents were black belts. The opponant in the second vid was wearing a brown belt, but it was his Shodan test that day, so he's wearing black now. Like I said, he usually takes me apart, but he was probably nearing exhaustion because of the ironman style sparring they were throwing at him for his black belt test, so he made me look better than I am, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 6:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is going to sound like a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. In both videos I didn't see a significant skill disparity between you and your training partners. In Judo the disparity is obvious because one guy will end up thrown much more than the other. How is rank awarded in Kyokushin outside of demonstrating techniques? Since you guys do randori how do you evaluate whether or not you are progressing? In Judo it's easy to evaluate because when you start it's really hard to throw anyone in randori but as you get better it gets easier. In Kyokushin is it a matter of, "Oh, I'm punching that guy more than before"?

I couldn't tell in the videos whether or not you were going hard or they were taking it easy but at the pace both of you were going I didn't see a difference between the two other than that one guy kicking you in the stomach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 7:06pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey guys,
    could someone post what they consider to be good sparring at the blackbelt level, I would like to model our school club's sparring after this style and need to see if I am up to snuff as a blackbelt club leader.
    Thnks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 10:02pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    This is going to sound like a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. In both videos I didn't see a significant skill disparity between you and your training partners. In Judo the disparity is obvious because one guy will end up thrown much more than the other. How is rank awarded in Kyokushin outside of demonstrating techniques? Since you guys do randori how do you evaluate whether or not you are progressing? In Judo it's easy to evaluate because when you start it's really hard to throw anyone in randori but as you get better it gets easier. In Kyokushin is it a matter of, "Oh, I'm punching that guy more than before"?

I couldn't tell in the videos whether or not you were going hard or they were taking it easy but at the pace both of you were going I didn't see a difference between the two other than that one guy kicking you in the stomach.
    As with any other striking art...
    Land more hits (more powerful, accurate, faster) than you opponent lands on you (blocking & countering). Thats how progress is achieved

But the Vids above are for a Black belt test meaning probably those guys have been sparring for more than 10 fights by the time the video was shot & the only variable you'll be able to measure is endurance & determination (heart or guts)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast