Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    3/27/2011 9:56pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sparring Footage from Kyokushin Belt Test

Had a belt test at the Kyokushin dojo I attend yesterday, and thought I'd post a couple sparring vids of me, cause it seems like people like that around here. I'm a brown belt in Aikijutsu, but only have about 4 months of Kyokushin under my (now blue) belt, so I'm not trying to impress anyone with my skills...just showing for showing's sake.

First vid is the end of a round sparring with my Sensei, and then a round against another black belt. At :50 in the video, I take a front kick which almost put me down.

Next vid is me sparring with a fellow student who was testing for his Shodan. (we're in the back) We're all gassed at this point, because the sparring was preceded by a couple hours of intense workout, but he's even moreso, because I'm probably the 7th or 8th fresh opponant he's faced, ironman style.

I've never been very flexible, and it really is getting better, despite the obvious fact that my opponents are in no danger of getting kicked in the head as of yet. This is mostly just show and tell, but any other feedback and/or comments are totally welcome.

Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 12:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched the first video and if you'd managed to actually follow through with that side/back kick he'd never been able to do the next kick, the one that "almost put me down," because he'd have been about ten feet away trying to get his breath back. You knee the fucker, then connect lightly with a side and then he nails you with a front. Well, you did just fine for testing from white. I mean what the ****, you are wearing a white right? And in your dojo it goes white then blue? Or did you skip yellow/orange? Strange.

Anyway, once you learn to follow through (POWER! Go to heavy bag and make it hit the ceiling with your step in side. Then make it bend and shake - you'll have kicks down then. 1st would be thrust, 2nd would be power snap).

So anyhow, for a white you look good. OSU!

And the guy you are sparring looks like a real black belt taking it somewhat easy on a n00b. So your dojo seems legit.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 3/28/2011 12:47am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and maybe manana I'll manage to watch the second. But reading my post I remembered that HORRIBLE form when you did the side kick. The kick made you fall away. That's the opposite of what you want. He's supposed to fall away, not you. You bounced off when you hit. I'd figure that problem out (with heavy bag???? And ask Sensei, "Sensei, I seem to fly backward when I connect kicking, is there something wrong with my technique? Isn't the uke supposed to go backward, not me?"
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 2:58am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur, pretty darn good performance for a white belt. Especially the roundhouse kicks seemed to be powerful and good hip rotation. I second what Patfromlogan said about the side kicks. In my experience, it's largely a matter of learning to control your center of gravity. It's all about Newtonian mechanics. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So when you make contact with your side kick, you will experience a push back from the force of your kick. Thus, you need to learn to keep your center of gravity moving into the kick, to neutralize this push back. It's much different from when you practice side kicks without striking a target. There is no push back, so you lean your upper body back to counter the weight of your leg. One thing I used to practice when not striking a bag or sparring partner was to drive the side kick forward so that the kick pulled me forward a bit. Of course, there's no replacement for striking a target, so that's just a little something that helped me.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 6:47am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed you guys face off with closed fists. Hum, would it not be better to leave your hands limp just in case a guy kicked the heck out of your fists and disabling them? Just a note.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 7:57am

Style: 空手/HNIR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustymars View Post
    I noticed you guys face off with closed fists. Hum, would it not be better to leave your hands limp just in case a guy kicked the heck out of your fists and disabling them? Just a note.
    it's just the other way around: with open hands, the chance of injuring your fingers is greater than sparring with fists. NB: you can spar open handed btw.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 9:04am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where did you learn that? I remember over 50 years ago sensei scolded me for a tight fist approach because it is easy to break the hand that way. But, I have not been doing MA very long; maybe 59 years.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 9:14am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Oh, and maybe manana I'll manage to watch the second. But reading my post I remembered that HORRIBLE form when you did the side kick. The kick made you fall away. That's the opposite of what you want. He's supposed to fall away, not you. You bounced off when you hit. I'd figure that problem out (with heavy bag???? And ask Sensei, "Sensei, I seem to fly backward when I connect kicking, is there something wrong with my technique? Isn't the uke supposed to go backward, not me?"
    Yeah, I don't usually fly back so badly when I side kick, but you're right. And actually, that is consistently my worst kick. A lot of the problem is that my beforementioned flexibility issues are most pernounced with that kick, so I don't yet have much power when I get my leg any higher that waist high. Will be fixed.

And yeah, our system has blue, then yellow.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 9:17am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video is probably shotokan or some similar mainland Japanese karate shiai, but it illustrates what I meant in questioning the closed fist approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6euRSjH9Lg&feature=related

In my younger days we did not do contest kumite or whateverit is called, so we would only spar as a matter of practice. We would never approach an opponent with a closed fist and whenever some beginner did so the more experienced karateka would always strike the others fist and then explain how he had to fight with one arm after that.

Just a note of interest.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Posted On:
    3/28/2011 10:53am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great videos, I just tested for purple on Saturday (in Ke?po) and we do bare knuckle sparring as well. One of the things I've learned is that if my hands are open I have the tendency to jam/injure fingers WAY too easily. A closed fist is how I'm taught to avoid that for the time being.

I have a question, those round kicks to the head in the first video, I know you avoided them but had you not would those have been allowed to connect at your rank?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast