Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 1:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    A little rude but right nonetheless. I should just suck it up, go back and sign up but I'm not that kind of guy. My pride can't take not being good the first time around so I'm gonna work on cardio first. Maybe someday, I'll learn how to be humble but this time around, I'm gonna prepare a bit so I don't look like an idiot.
    As Marcellus Wallace said: "**** pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps."

In any sport you do, there is always going to be someone better than you. Even if you were one of the 0.00001% of people who become "the best" you would only be the best for a short time before someone better comes along and knocks you off your throne.

So seriously, **** pride and check your ego at the door. It's a learning process, and as a newbie you should expect to suck. Enjoy the learning process of getting better.

And I would highly recommend that you go to that gym you mentioned where the coach was correcting every little detail. Don't you want to practice techniqe as perfect as you can? That's a GOOD thing to have an active coach like that who's correcting all your technique flaws. He's trying to help you and make you better! The problem is with the way you're thinking about it, you think he's criticizing you but he's not, he's just trying to show you how to get better.

Anyway, I'd just start up training in Boxing if I were you, because then you will get into shape doing what you want to do.

But if you are really worried about being out of shape right now, I think Bicycling, running, and jump rope are some best cardio things you can do to get in shape. Bicycling in particular is great because it's really easy on your joints and low impact (unless you crash) so very good for cross training while you train primarily in Boxing.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is my hometraining not going to improve this? Not even a bit? That sucks.
    Here's two scenarios of what could happen:
    1. You train on your own, run, get a heavy bag etc. You can hit the bag hard and it moves all over the place, and you're pretty sure you kick ass at boxing. You go to the boxing gym and get beat up because you won't work out on your own and be better than someone who goes to the gym and spars. You get frustrated because you're not automatically good and quit boxing with a bad taste in your mouth (this sorta happened to me).

2. You go to a boxing gym and train there. You get beat up because you're new, but you don't really let it get you down, because after all you're just a new guy who doesn't even have a heavy bag in his garage or whatever. You stay and slowly improve until you're good. A new kid gets frustrated when you skillfully counterpunch him and exploit errors in his guard. You chuckle, then tell him your story and hopes he listens, but you suspect that he won't.

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 3:19pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know its hard. Getting good at anything is hard. The only thing I don't like about boxing is that unlike DotA or drawing, I can't just suffer through the slumps and than pretend I never had any.
    More importantly, I feel that this early suckage should be private.

The struggle to get to grips with the basics has always been private for me. Whether it was in high-school or right now in college. I ONLY go to a professor when I have something complicated that I can't figure out. It its simple, I go to somewhere private, shut myself out of civilization and deal with it on my own.
    If you think training on your own will get you prepped for boxing, rather than boxing itself you're a mug. If some of the newbs started on the same day as you, carried on in the gym and you returned a few months later after home training they'd take you to school in sparring.

So shut up, get over yourself and go BOXING.

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know how many guys who train themselves first so they can hit the ground running and impress everyone actually end up training? 0

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah really i have a few friends like this, always talking about coming to my gym and starting to get into it etc... once they are fit. some of them have been talking about this for fucking YEARS.

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 5:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear that getting punched in the face can make you humble and you clearly need some humility.

Go box.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^This^^
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/29/2011 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Pro tip: You are expected to suck on the first day. People earn respect when they keep coming back anyway.
    this.

Posted On:
    3/30/2011 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Pro tip: You are expected to suck on the first day. People earn respect when they keep coming back anyway.
    For StepInCross,

Floyd Patterson, World Professional Heavyweight Champion, defended against the Amateur World No.1, Peter Rademacher.

You've probably heard of Floyd - normal in a boxing gym but not Rademacher, so that tells you who won.

And Why.

Posted On:
    4/04/2011 11:05am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwww babies gone and hurt his widdle pwidey-widey? Is dah big bad world too scawy?

Man, what are you twelve?

You just described a great sounding gym then immediately start bitching? You've already proven how dumb you can be so why do you still think that you, alone, at home, can somehow produce results that will even register at a gym with a good coach? You sound like a fanboy; someone who likes to talk big about boxing and ride it's nuts from the bar to the bathroom to feel impressive but who has honestly no idea what their talking about and will never figure it out unless they are lucky enough to get their **** kicked in so hard their either shut up for good or start training. The sad part is that rarely happens or has such nice results. Oh well, at least they got beat up I guess (well, you haven't yet but I can dream).

The REAL sad part of THIS story, though, is that you're still here. On the Internet. You've only gotten great advice (because it's all pretty much the same since you came here from more experienced people than yourself) and yet you just disregard it completely? Why are you fucking here? Seriously, why are you still posting? You should be too tired to care (you know, from all that training that you said you wanted but aren't doing?) what some thread is doing on a message board. Pull up your panties, your weakness is showing.

Is my hometraining not going to improve this?
    Nope.
    Not even a bit?
    No.
    That sucks.
    You suck.
    Last edited by WorldWarCheese; 4/04/2011 11:10am at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast